Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aromatherapy for dogs

Options
  • 12-11-2011 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone use aromatherapy for their dogs? My daughter recently moved to Canada where its widely used in veterinary clinic and boarding, so I did some on-line research and started using it myself today in a burner, using a mix of oils as recommended. The two dogs were stretched out on the couch, totally relaxed!
    One of mine is a bad traveller and we're heading to the beach tomorrow (in mid-November!!!) which is a 150 mile round trip for us. Will be burning the oil in the house in the morning and putting a small amount mixed with a base oil on his chest before we leave. Will be interesting to see if it keeps him calm and happy and stops the other mad-woman from barking at everything that moves!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

i havent heard of that but would be open to it. we seem to be miles behind on the alternative stuff for animals. i had a springer that was battling lymphoma and i tried a homeopath (for humans) for some natural remedies to boost his immune system. cant say if it worked or not cause the cancer was quick but i'd try it again if i had to.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

Hi all!

Yes it is brilliant for dogs. I am a qualified Aromatherapist for quite a long number of years, and also a dog Groomer. I have combined the 2 things really well and also use different oils for my own dogs.

Tea tree and lavender are the best and safest to use. Do consult before using them willy nilly. Overdoing the dosage can have the reverse of the desired effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi. Great to hear of someone who can advise me! The research I did on line said to use a mixture of lavender, marjoram, neroli and mandarin in equal amounts, which is what I have done.
    But my daughter checked it out today in Canada and the vet there suggested a mixture of lavender, camomile and vanilla for calming purposes.
    What do you think? I'd love this to work for them as I am dead against using any form of drug therapy for travel sickness or over excitement/hyperactivity.
    I am a novice at all this so would love to learn more - even for my own benefit as well as my doggies.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Sounds like a great idea :D

The one think I will say is that be careful not to use neat oils on dogs skin.
    They can sometimes cause very severe allergic reactions in dogs.A diluted mixture is safer and doesn't do as much damage if they get a reaction.

Tea trea oil is also toxic to cats and can be irritant to dogs in a neat mixture.The signs are dullness,depression,shaking, difficulty walking.(nervous signs) a few hours after application.

If your looking for a calming effect the DAP pheromones are quite good.You can get both plug ins and collars .They are based on the smell that a female dog releases to calm her suckling pups.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There's little evidence to say if it works for humans, and even less to say it works on animals, but smelling nice things is unlikely do do any harm.

• Advertisement

Just a quick update. The aromatherapy didn't prevent travel sickness!!! But, in fairness, perhaps I was expecting too much too soon. I'm still burning oils in the house and they seem more relaxed - or at least I think they do:rolleyes: Or maybe its me just wishing.....:o
    Would love to hear of other experiences/suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭offroadannie

ask for Tabacum 30 in your health food shop and give him one tablet about 30 mins before travelling
    hth

ask for Tabacum 30 in your health food shop and give him one tablet about 30 mins before travelling
    hth

Really! I'd love to see him travelling happier. It breaks my heart when he starts being sick. An hour seems to be his limit on the road - anytime after that he just starts puking:( I don't mind the mess at all, it's thinking of him being miserable that upsets me.
    Is this guaranteed to help him and will it make him sleepy?
    Thanks so much for your advice.:)

Advertisement