Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dead People on Facebook

Options
  • 12-11-2011 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭

This is something ive had a couple of questions about.

Recently, someone died from my home area, not someone i know very well, or was friends of facebook. As i'm away, I saw a lot of posts on facebook, RIP etc, and was looking at the person in questions fb profile, and theres loads of tributes, etc on it.

I wondered what the policy (if any) facebook has on this. I had a look and theres no real definitive answer that i could find. Out of interest, I checked on a profile of a friend of a friend who died in 2008 to see if it was gone, but nope, it was still there, and more surprisingly (to me), there were a constant stream of daily messages there.

My question to AH is this: Do you find it weird having someone who died 'live on' like this in cyberspace? Im using facebook as an example, but the same could be applied to photobucket, linkedin, basically any site that has a repository of someones info/photos/videos etc.

I find it very weird, and if anything happened to me, id rather someone take down any reference to me online within a few months of me passing...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I can see dead people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I'd mess about on it and start spouting off "Ah damn I went to hell" and ****e like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

I think its good for those still in mourning to send messages to them. I dont find it "weird"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

De friend them

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mickjg

A young guy I went to school with died over the summer in tragic circumstances. His profile was deleted within a day. I don't know if his friends deleted it or if someone contacted the administrators but it's not there anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

John Doe1 wrote: »
    I think its good for those still in mourning to send messages to them. I dont find it "weird"

Your username suggests you're a bit biased though.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

If you provide proof (probably an article w/ their picture from a newspaper, RIP.ie, or something similar) of their passing, they can make it so the profile is "memorialized" that some people may choose to do (or ask is done if they know their time might be soon), there Facebook locks it down in someway (probably disabling login w/o taking down the page or something).

It can be good to have it there, at times, looking at videos/photos of good times together or whatever. Sometimes you mightn't want to be reminded of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭upandcumming

AG2R wrote: »
    I'd mess about on it and start spouting off "Ah damn I went to hell" and ****e like that

Or post stuff on randomers walls/timelines:
    I know you **** off all day to Kim and Aggie...

Or

I know you're having an affair with the brother in law...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I don't find it weird. It's just a way for people to pay their respects to the deceased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

It's happened twice this year with people I knew of, not personally. I think it's nice in a way that people have a place to voice their grief, however I do think that after a few months it should be taken down to provide some closure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Let me clarify, I dont find it weird in the immediate aftermath.
    but 3 years later, people sill posting messages, that a find a little bit odd, and sad.
    Its kind of delaying the acceptance stage of grief

edit: exactly, meok

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

people have to work their own way through grief at their own pace and whilst it may seem odd to you, perhaps the friends and family take great comfort from seeing that profile and posting on it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement