Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Encouraging birds to a new table/feeder

Options
  • 12-11-2011 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭

I put up a bird table in my new place when I moved in January but there weren't any takers. I assumed it was because the birds were already used to other bird tables around. Now that it's starting to get a bit cold again, I'm hoping I have a better chance of getting them to come to my garden. Is there anything in particular I can do to encourage them? I have some seeds and sultanas on the table and seeds in the feeder. There are a good few blackbirds and tits around, with finches every so often.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

what do you have out for the birds? One food doesnt suit all

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

Ok what I have is a mix of "wild bird seed." It has some sunflower seeds and crushed wheat and a couple of other what based things. It was cheap so it mightn't be the best thing really. I also put some sultanas out because the blackbirds in my previous place liked those.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

In my opinion, peanuts and especially sunflower hearts are amongst the best at attracting birds into a garden. The generic "wild bird seed" usually contains too much filler that birds such as Tits and finches are just not interested in.

It usualy takes a while for the birds to find a feeder in an area where non have been put out before, but you'll have some great sightings once they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

I put out a new feeder this week and already have had to refill the seed feeder. I have peanuts on the other side and the goldfinches are enjoying these as well as a larger brown bird I have to identify. Plenty bluetits on the seeds though they are wasting alot of the seeds to get at the ones they want. Had a bird table last winter but it only attracted blackbirds, sparrows and robins not that there is any thing wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I have a table out with mealworms and mixed seed (from Lidl or Aldi) on it, and two feeders with peanuts and seed.... not a single bird have I seen :confused:

I'm hoping they'll cop on soon enough.....

Question - I also bought a long net with alternating fatballs and peanuts - I cut it in two, and have them hung on a wall - just the netting hung on a nail. Can the birds use these as they are or should they be in a feeder/frame of some sort?

Sorry if that's a daft question!

• Advertisement

Like V Moth says there is too much filler in cheap bird food. I wouldnt bother with mixes that contain wheat, dried or clipped maize or oats in husks.

I feed only two seeds - peanuts and sunflower hearts. I usually chop these in a mini food processor

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Alliandre

I guess I'll be investing in better quality seeds and nuts then! Something has been taking the sultanas though. And some bread I put out. I suspect blackbirds but I have yet to see the culprits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

All,

2 x

IMAG0216.jpg

B&Q Naas for Eur 15.

In fact, they made a mistake. I was charged Eur14. That's exceptional imo. Pity I already stocked up for Winter. Bought 2 anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TRNIALL

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I have a table out with mealworms and mixed seed (from Lidl or Aldi) on it, and two feeders with peanuts and seed.... not a single bird have I seen :confused:

I'm hoping they'll cop on soon enough.....

Question - I also bought a long net with alternating fatballs and peanuts - I cut it in two, and have them hung on a wall - just the netting hung on a nail. Can the birds use these as they are or should they be in a feeder/frame of some sort?

Sorry if that's a daft question!
    Do not use the Nets they are a Danger to Birds as their Feet get tangled in them;)Take out the Peanuts and put them in a Wiremesh Feeder. I also got Wider Peanut Feeders and put the Fat Balls into these, 5 Balls at a time,my place is like the Hilton Hotel for Birds:eek: feathered ones at that:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

Am I the only one that uses Flahavan's Porridge to feed birds here ? Either pin head or the normal stuff.. seems to keep them all happy :)

Alliandre - I wouldn't worry, they'll soon be coming to your table, when it gets a bit colder

• Advertisement

I think pin head oats are better than porridge. Porridge swells

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

I think pin head oats are better than porridge. Porridge swells

:eek: I have this vision of blue tits like tennis balls trying to get off the feeders!

Goldfinches are House sparrows are increasing in the garden.

Today I had around 10 Goldies on chopped sunflower hearts and 15+ sparrows on the sunflower and pinhead oats

Mark
    Antrim

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Still not a sign of a single bird at my table/hanging nets of delicacies.....

Not even a magpie, ffs.

Was it something I said?

Advertisement