Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1944 Warsaw Uprising - re-enactment photographs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Morlar wrote: »
    I came across this site showing photos of a re-enactment groups efforts on the subject of the 1944 Warsaw Uprising. I think the quality is outstanding, I think their efforts really bring this subject alive. Never really got my head around the whole re-enactment thing but from this they appear to be history enthusiasts highlighting areas of interest.

qba_3269.jpg

qba_3359.jpg

There are also more here :

http://www.festungbreslau.wroclaw.pl/main.php?target=zdunska2_2011

http://www.silaobrazu.pl/fotoreportaze/rekonstrukcja-historyczna/

http://www.silaobrazu.pl/fotoreportaze/rekonstrukcja-historyczna/dreszcze-44/

Interesting stuff (although I think the photog went overboard with photoshop), the polish resistance used bits and piece of german uniforms, including the ubiquitous steel helmet which must have led to numerous instances of friendly fire, on both sides.

Now if they had a firing Sturm Tiger I'd be REALLY impressed :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

have to agree with the too photoshop heavy comment...:rolleyes:
    prefer the good old black and white reenactment photo.

a quick google search will find you far better real photos IMO.
    Example of captured gear in use
    Uprising1-5.jpg

pb1901.jpg
    WarsawUprisingTroopOfPartisans.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

With the AK wearing captured German helmets, camouflage uniforms and armed with German machine guns, rifles, anti-tank weapons and grenades how did the Polish avoid shooting their own people by mistake? How did the Waffen SS and German Army? Presumably with heavy fighting, burning buildings, rubble, dust, smoke, explosions, the constant chatter of gunfire and opposing forces covered in filth, that they could barely tell friend from foe?

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Artur.PL

AK soldiers were not full uniformed as opposed to German forces. A soldier could wore different jacket and different trousers. Or Polish military jacket and German helmet very often with white and red colours.
    warecka8.jpg
    powstanie_warszawskie_arch.jpg
    Of course friendly fire was possible.

0:33 axe, hoe,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

That song is very interesting, cheers. Just did some quick reading on those battalions, I didn't know they had captured a Panther at one point !

This photo is captioned "Soldiers of tank platoon "Wacek" of "Zośka" Battalion on a German Panther tank around Okopowa Street. Sitting from the left: Zdzisław Moszczeński "Ryk" [2] (according to source [1] „Ryk” is standing first from left facing the tank), unknown, Jan Uniewski „Lumeński" [2] („Łuniewski” according to source [1]), Mieczysław Kijewski "Jordan", Jan Myszkowski Bagiński "Bajan" and Jan Zenka "Walek".
    Polski: Powstanie Warszawskie: Żołnierze plutonu pancernego "Wacek" batalionu "Zośka" na zdobytym niemieckim czołgu typu "Pantera" w okolicach ulicy Okopowej. O lewej siedzą: ppor. Zdzisław Moszczeński "Ryk"[2] (Wedle [1] „Ryk” stoi tyłem pierwszy z lewej), NN, Jan Uniewski „Lumeński" [2] („Łuniewski” [1]), plut.pchor. Mieczysław Kijewski "Jordan", sierżant pchor. Jan Myszkowski Bagiński "Bajan", kapral Jan Zenka "Walek"."

Warsaw_Uprising_by_Deczkowki_-_Wacek_Platoon_-_15911.jpg

• Advertisement

They captured 2 Panthers Ausf.G. (19th Panzer Division)on 2nd of August and Tiger (SS Division Totenkopf) which was lost on the same day or day later. Some say that was not Tiger but Pz IV or V.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 833 ✭✭✭snafuk35

Artur.PL wrote: »
    AK soldiers were not full uniformed as opposed to German forces. A soldier could wore different jacket and different trousers. Or Polish military jacket and German helmet very often with white and red colours.
    warecka8.jpg
    powstanie_warszawskie_arch.jpg
    Of course friendly fire was possible.

0:33 axe, hoe,

If I didn't know better I would have thought the first men were Germans. I'm sure lots of Poles got shot by their own side.

It was possible as I said but not very often. I've found information about "Morro" formation, they lost one man (nickname "Skowroński") in friedly fire. Usually they were able to recognise one another somehow.

On the photo above you can see people wearing plane cloths. This is how most of the AK soldiers looked likeon the 1st of August. Then they caputered German's depot and they took uniforms. A full uniformed unit aroused admiration their brother in arms.

Germans took the advantage of this. On the 3rd of August Germans who were wearing white-red armbands got in the basements in the Mlynarska street and they killed all civilians. On the 15th they killed Capt. Lukasiewicz and 5 days later they tried to go through the position of the "Parasol" section but in vain.

From the other side German soldiers (or bandits rather than soldiers) on the way back to their own positions usually were taking off their helmets to show who they were.

good threat for it I think

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Powstanie%20Warszawskie%20w%20Dublinie-Logo%20IrlandiaIE.jpg

Advertisement