Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverting backwards during times of a recession

Options
  • 12-11-2011 1:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I tried google but couldn't find anything on this.

Has any adults here noticed that they and/or others they know reverted backwards slightly since this recession got deeper. Reverted back to perhaps some activities that they enjoyed as a kid. Reverted to foods/snacks that they liked as a kid. Perhaps even to tv programs or movies that they liked.

I know in my case I've taken to jigsaws and colouring and I had my mom pass a remark the other day on the matter. I just got an urge earlier in the year to buy a packet of colouring pencils and colouring books. Nothing childlike now but colouring books with complex mazes and designs to colour and things like that. I'm in my absolute element colouring and making jigsaws. It's so therapeutic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Since the redundancy, Ive reverted to rarely leaving the house and playing alot of video games. I think this thesis holds water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

No. Stagnated perhaps but not regressed.

Its simply a matter of necessity when theres no cash coming in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Agricola wrote: »
    Since the redundancy, Ive reverted to rarely leaving the house and playing alot of video games. I think this thesis holds water.

Ah, video games! That I have always loved and will never give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

I've ditched my laptop. Had to downgrade unfortunately.

Sent from VTech PreComputer 1000

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Why do people and the media still insist on calling what were in a "Recession". Were in a world Depression and it started back in 2008.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

My wages have reverted back to my childhood paper round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Why do people and the media still insist on calling what were in a "Recession". Were in a world Depression and it started back in 2008.

Have to say I agree with you there. Of course the politicians won't admit that we're in a depression, they will when the rest of the world drags us out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I started drawing on the walls again. great fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I know in my case I've taken to jigsaws and colouring and I had my mom pass a remark the other day on the matter.

Funnily enough I bought some water colours yesterday. Might take them out for a wee doodle later.

How's your arse now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Yalu

Not sure if this is what you mean, but a lot of people seem to be knitting again. Wool shops have been springing up like mushrooms - it seems to be one of those industries that does well in times like these!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Has any adults here noticed that they and/or others they know reverted backwards slightly since this recession got deeper. Reverted back to perhaps some activities that they enjoyed as a kid. Reverted to foods/snacks that they liked as a kid. Perhaps even to tv programs or movies that they liked.

I know in my case I've taken to jigsaws and colouring and I had my mom pass a remark the other day on the matter. I just got an urge earlier in the year to buy a packet of colouring pencils and colouring books. Nothing childlike now but colouring books with complex mazes and designs to colour and things like that. I'm in my absolute element colouring and making jigsaws. It's so therapeutic.

The amount of butcher and vegetable shops that have reappeared in the past 2/3 years too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Well it would be difficult to revert forwards wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

There's a recession? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Abi wrote: »
    How's your arse now?

Thanks for asking. I'm not doing very well. I badly need a belting across my arse and have no one to administer it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Agricola wrote: »

I've reverted to using a bucket instead of a thesis.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

So you've started colouring in. What makes you think this has anything to do with the Recession?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭ronano

I've seen it in. myself I've barely touched a game in. a decade but moved out and tookold part with me. Finished about 7 games in last 6 months really enjoyed it too

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

had me poor for years and since i stopped i'm awash with cash relatively speaking.I don't think we know the meaning of poverty in ireland but there is mortgage & Car related poverty.People are hooked up to all kinds of habits these days.Drinking drugging and gambling poverty is every where.It's not real poverty.Chasing a cat or dog for your supper now that is the real thing.Poverty is a relative idea some wealthy people think they are poor.Really and some are poor but they don't know it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,156 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've reverted backwards to using more tautologies in my speech, etc and so on.

It happened the last time as well. It's deja vu all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Half the cunts under 21 I see on the street seem to have reverted back to 1983 if their clothes are anything to go by.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Not everyone knows correct economic terms. Everyone knows what's meant by recession - namely the bubble bursting here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

about time somebody started calling black kettle black

• Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

No.
    I haven't noticed this reverting back to old hobbies happening to anyone I know, or anyone I have talked to.
    Not saying it's not happening, I just haven't noticed it at all myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Isn't "reverting back" a tautology? Or else it would make a great title for an either extremely awful or brilliantly good science fiction movie.:)

Kind of reminds me of the fellow who was up in Kildare district court years ago for shagging sheep on he Curragh. He told the judge: "I only went out into the field for a leak, yer honour, and that sheep reversed back into me.";);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Yeah i've started kissing 12 year olds, damn rescession:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭paulosham

I've noticed that some people have reverted to speaking like children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Wasn't there something about people seeking childhood comforts when the economy caves in? Isn't this why sh1te sugary sweets and reformed boybands are being marketed at us from every angle?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

Back receding during times of reversion

Advertisement