Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a Cafe - Advice

Options
  • 12-11-2011 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

hello everyone,

relatively new to boards.ie here. just wondered if anyone can advise on cafe fit out services. i've just taken out a lease on a venue but need to go about the fit out and detailed design elements now. thought i might throw it out there in case anyone has any advice on going about same in terms of experts in that area?

thanks,

garrett

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭bigneacy

Not sure what you budget is, or if you have the time/patience - but there is a lot of pwo/next to new equipment for sale on donedeal - a lot of the stuff you will find at least that half or quarter of cost price. Some professional gaggia two pump coffee machines for less than €1000, As well as that you can usually find liquidated catering equipment and furniture - job lots of cafe tables and chairs etc. - Maybe you have a particular vision in mind and are willing to spend the money, but if you would rather have the money in the bank then it would definitely be worth considering.

If you have the time I would suggest trying to source the majority of your equipment there - you will probably save a large fortune...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 garrettf

thanks for that info - very much appreciated. i have begun looking into sourcing a lot of things second hand alright in order to keep capital costs down. however, i think i may need to spend money on a professional and expert when it comes to the overall design of the place and hence my looking for any info people may have on same. so please keep the suggestions coming and thanks again for that response!

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Gingko

garrettf wrote: »
    thanks for that info - very much appreciated. i have begun looking into sourcing a lot of things second hand alright in order to keep capital costs down. however, i think i may need to spend money on a professional and expert when it comes to the overall design of the place and hence my looking for any info people may have on same. so please keep the suggestions coming and thanks again for that response!

I've had two friends in the café trade. One is still in business. They both said it's a case of "location location"! Be surprised if you get a good commercial coffee machine for under €1000? Infact I doubt it very much!

Check out "Simons Place" and "The Metro" in Dublin, see how they operate. Roasters cafe on Bridge St. in Cork too. And Pura Vida in Galway. Good for ideas and layout. "Ósta" cafe in Sligo worth a look too.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

I am in the hospitality consulting business for a couple of years. If you want some free advise please PM in details. Cheers Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

If I were to open another cafe I would def go the second hand route for most items. There's loads of it about now. I certainly wouldn't pay big money to a fit-out company. I checked out cafe's, largely online and just drew ideas from them to create my own look. A decent carpenter, painter and electrician is all you need. I have used a Company for catering equipment who draw up layout plans for commercial kitchens if you were to get some equipment of them (they also had some second hand equipment). Not sure if I can name them here but PM me if you want more details.

• Advertisement
Advertisement