Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese film festival ; accesscinema.ie

Options
  • 12-11-2011 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭

Went to the late night Irish premier of TEKKEN 3d, in English last night & couldn't believe that there were only about 30 people there/ Cineworld in Dublin. It's part of the multi region ( Dublin/ Cirk/ Limerick/ WIT Waterford) Japanese film festival on at the moment. It's kinda rare that these opportunist are there in mainstream cinemas: do people not know these things are on; or is there just such a tiny proportion if people interested ? :eek:

Www.accesscinema.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Hatgirl

Went to the late night Irish premier of TEKKEN 3d, in English last night & couldn't believe that there were only about 30 people there/ Cineworld in Dublin. It's part of the multi region ( Dublin/ Cirk/ Limerick/ WIT Waterford) Japanese film festival on at the moment. It's kinda rare that these opportunist are there in mainstream cinemas: do people not know these things are on; or is there just such a tiny proportion if people interested ? :eek:

Www.accesscinema.ie

*sigh* I think it's a combination of both. They don't advertise, and so the people who do want to see this stuff don't know about it. So despite the fact that I was haunting the Cineworld and Screen websites over the last few days looking for a decent film, I had no idea this was going on. Good grief.

Anyway, I have added the future anime shows to http://scifi.ie/calendar so that the non-Dublin/Cork folk who subscribe will know they're happening. Thanks for the heads up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I'm slightly disappointed that many of the films have been available on DVD for a while (although Sawako Decides and Memories of Matsuko are well worth a watch). Also disappointed I can only make tomorrow's screenings (I really wanted to see the sushi docu). I'm looking forward to Kabei and Chef of South Polar, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

I would have gone to see the the haruhi movie last night if I knew it was on. That's the second time I've fecken missed it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I had no idea it was on, otherwise I'd have made the effort to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

I think the main problem was, as with every year they run this film festival, is that they always have it in Dublin the same weekend as Eirtakon. Pretty bad move, like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

MarkMI6 wrote: »
    I think the main problem was, as with every year they run this film festival, is that they always have it in Dublin the same weekend as Eirtakon. Pretty bad move, like.

And ye were both showing The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya which was just silly.

Also, there was very little advertising and no one seemed to know about it until it was over. Very disappointing as I feel like it could be much more successful if they held it any other weekend other than Eirtakon and did a bit more advertising.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,103 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Around half the audience were Japanese at the screenings I was at :P

I'd like there to be a bit more exclusivity at the festival being honest. I know three of the films were theatrical prints from the fantastic Third Window distributors, all of the films having been released some time ago in the UK, and Memories of Matsuko notably having been on DVD for ages. Haruhi has been doing the festival rounds for a while, too, and most of the other films were two or three years old.

Fair play to Access for organising such a thing - I will never, ever begrudge a weekend of Japanese cinema on the big screen - but there's serious potential to make it a truly significant and successful event.

Fair play to Access for organising such a thing - I will never, ever begrudge a weekend of Japanese cinema on the big screen - but there's serious potential to make it a truly significant and successful event.

Aye, agreed, and it wouldn't take much organisation to achieve that either. Some good preplanning and a bit of advertising in cinemas the month beforehand would sort it. Shame really.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Butterscotch

Dam raging I missed this but I agree it would be better to be moved to anther weekend and more advertising. If it was on the weekend after Eirtakon they could of advertised at Eirtakon with flyers and such. Eirtakon doesn't just attract anime fans it also attracts many people into Japanese culture so the majority of their target audience would of been at Eirtakon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Hmmm; well I missed Eirtakon!! What was that !!! Obviously we re In different loops!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

Hmmm; well I missed Eirtakon!! What was that !!! Obviously we re In different loops!!!

Eirtakon is Ireland's largest anime & manga convention.

There's a thread all about it here and their website is here :)

If it was on the weekend after Eirtakon they could of advertised at Eirtakon with flyers and such.

Actually, they did send us flyers - they arrived on Monday ;_; Although why you would advertise for an event on the same weekend of an event you're advertising at is a little strange, but had I received the flyers in time I would have put them around the venue regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Kvothe

why is it i didnt know that, it really is bad advertising. i mean i just moved to ireland and i am still huge anime/manga/japan culture fan. so this oppurtiunity i missed. arent there any other sites which informs you about these kind of stuff?

Kvothe wrote: »
    why is it i didnt know that, it really is bad advertising. i mean i just moved to ireland and i am still huge anime/manga/japan culture fan. so this oppurtiunity i missed. arent there any other sites which informs you about these kind of stuff?

Check out Anime.ie, run by Art_Wolf, it's very comprehensive I find. Also keep an eye on this forum as there's always some info to be found :)

Advertisement