Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a gaming pc

Options
  • 12-11-2011 1:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi, I've been planning to build or buy a new pc purely for gaming for awhile and have decided now is the time. I have around 800 euros to spend but Im a bit clueless when it comes to what I need or where to get it. I basically want it to run games like Skyrim, Witcher 2 and Battlefield 3 at high settings and for me to not have to upgrade it for a year or two. I have a monitor already a Samsung Syncmaster t240hd. Just wondering what else I need, or if anyone has recommendations on what to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

follow the link in my signature and copy the questions to here, answering as many of them as you can to help you more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tteddy1982

Sorry, my bad. First post and all

1. What is your budget? €800

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming. Skyrim, Witcher 2, Battlefield 3

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? No

5. Do you need a monitor? No

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? Max Resolution is 1920 x 1200 No I won't need to upgrade anytime soon

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? Yes. Keyboard, Mouse, Wireless Card (Though I might just buy a cheap wireless dongle)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? No

8. How can you pay? Credit Card

9. When are you purchasing? Asap

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? I should be grand to put it together myself.

I was talking to a couple of friends and the following was suggested.
    Processor: Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3Ghz
    GPU: GeForce GTX 570
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz

I was looking up prices on dabs and they all seem reasonable, just wondering what else I need, and if they will are all compatible.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭Serephucus

They'll all work fine together. I don't have time at the moment, but if you can find a way to pay by bank transfer (they accept Paypal, but it's an extra 3% to use it), you should have a look at hardwareversand.de. It's the site most people here use. They're usually cheaper than any other site, and they offer a flat €30 shipping fee, which works out cheaper than most other places, especially if you're buying parts for a full build.

You'll need a case, PSU, motherboard, optical drive, and hard drive in addition to what you listed. Also, don't bother with the Vengeance RAM. Fast RAM makes 0 difference with virtually everything. Just get whatever's cheap.

I'm stuck using the credit card for the minute. I could probably use pay pal though. I had a look on that site it seems pretty cheap, I'm not familiar with pros and cons of most parts. When I searched for GeForce gtx 570 I got a lot of different results with a big swing in price. Just wondering which would be best. I'm very out of touch with what's good these days, just need some advice. Thanks for the tip on ram

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

welcome to boards!! :D didn't see earlier that it was your first post.

ill throw up a build when I get off my phone, or deconduo/serephecus usually beats me to it so they'll probably be along sooner.

you're on the right track anyway, though I'd swap the gtx570 for a HD6970 cause its got more Vram and performs better at high resolutions.

it really would be much better if you could do a bank transfer, because 3% PayPal is quite a lot with higher budgets, and you'd probably be better off buying from scan.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk in that instance.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I'll have a look at those sites. Really appreciate the help

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Looks good. That was pretty much the exact build I would post, though I'd probably go for higher frequency RAM. (I know, I know! It's just engrained in me at this point. :P)

Oh, you forgot this. ;)

Just a small note though: Don't pick up the keyboard from HWVS. It'll be German layout. Better looking on Amazon or Komplett (free delivery) for one.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Serephucus wrote: »
    Looks good. That was pretty much the exact build I would post, though I'd probably go for higher frequency RAM. (I know, I know! It's just engrained in me at this point. :P)

Oh, you forgot this. ;)

Just a small note though: Don't pick up the keyboard from HWVS. It'll be German layout. Better looking on Amazon or Komplett (free delivery) for one.

I'd usually leave out a heatsink on this sort of budget as the stock one is good enough for mild overclocking. Upgrading later on is easy so its better to spend the extra money elsewhere, like getting a 6870 instead of a 6850.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 akazzz

OP doesn't plan on overclocking therefore I suggest going with the i5-2400 for EUR20 less than the i5-2500k and stock heatsink is enough saving him another EUR20.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 conordonoghue1

hey guys i was also looking into building a gaming pc what do you guys think of these specs MOtherboard - MSI 870A-G54 -Socket AM3 - ATX
    AMD 870A - 4 x DDR3 - SATA-600/USB3.0
    Processor - AMD Phenom II X4 975 3.6GHz 6MB AM3 Black Edition
    Quad Core - With Cooler
    RAM memory - Corsair Vengeance - 8 GB -1600 MHz - PC3-12800
    DDR3 - 240 pin - 1.5V -CL9 - Kit
    Graphics card (which comes with dirt 3 fo freee :D) - Sapphire Radeon 6950 Dirt 3 - 2GB - PCI-E
    DVI/HDMI/Display Port
    Hard Drive - WD 1TB 3.5" SATA-600 7200rpm 32MB
    Caviar Blue
    powersupply - Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - Power supply
    ( internal ) - ATX12V 2.31/ EPS12V 2.92 - AC
    Case - Antec Three Hundred - Midi Tower - no PSU
    ATX - USB / Audio

@ conordonoghue1: You should start you own thread, not hijack someone else's. ;) Welcome to Boards though!

Have a look at the build deconduo posted four posts above yours. It's probably about the same price-wise, but the processor's much more powerful.

Thanks for that, im still think I'm stuck with credit cards so might have to bite the 3% PayPal bullet. And thanks for the tip on keyboards. I just saw deconduo listed a solid state hard drive I have heard they are better but what are the advantages over a normal hard drive cause they seem to be a lot more expensive. Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Tteddy1982 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, im still think I'm stuck with credit cards so might have to bite the 3% PayPal bullet. And thanks for the tip on keyboards. I just saw deconduo listed a solid state hard drive I have heard they are better but what are the advantages over a normal hard drive cause they seem to be a lot more expensive. Thanks again

Why not do bank transfer?

SSDs are better in every way. They run cooler, are completely silent, are much, much faster, and usually last longer too.

There's loads of them out there. Have a look for SSD/HDD comparisons, and you'll see why they're great.

Advertisement