Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - temporary closure of Ballinasloe to Athlone motorway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,790 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

could they not put in a contra-flow rather than directing everyone onto the old N6?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭trellheim

who's paying for it !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

The contractor who built the road, I would imagine.
    What's wrong with the surface, anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Tremelo wrote: »
    The contractor who built the road, I would imagine.
    What's wrong with the surface, anyway?

AFAIK the water is not draining of the road during heavy rain. Its a terrible piece of road anyway with all those bends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

loyatemu wrote: »
    could they not put in a contra-flow rather than directing everyone onto the old N6?

Cost I'd say is the issue.

Not sure who'd be liable. I'm sure the work would have been
    tested and signed off on by umteem engineers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what about the cost to the economy* due to closure rather than contra flow?

* Traffic, delays, additional CO2, wasted time etc etc

Indeed but Roscommon co. co. won't have to foot the bill for those. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I thought Nenagh-Limerick would have been the first post completed scheme requiring pavement works! Its ridiculous that there is issues already with this stretch

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Same contractor did Gort - Crusheen just after they finished this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Buffman

what about the cost to the economy* due to closure rather than contra flow?

* Traffic, delays, additional CO2, wasted time etc etc

Yep, closing the motorway between two major cities for the 3 weeks before Christmas, somebody isn't thinking too much about the economy.

Why can't they close it for night time only and work out of hours?
    Roscommon CO CO
    Alternative Routes:Traffic wishing to travel west on the M6 from Junction 13 Athlone (West) to Junction 14 Ballinasloe should use the
    R446 (Old N6).
    I'm guessing the limit on this R road is now 80kph, and a large stretch of it is on the GOSAFE speed camera list.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Advertisement

Buffman wrote: »
    I'm guessing the limit on this R road is now 80kph, and a large stretch of it is on the GOSAFE speed camera list.

Still 100 iirc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Did anyone object in time? The road has a barrier with specific removable-for-contraflow sections. Unless they're planning to repave the entire thing there is no need to close it.

Due to being the only recently built stretch with armco there isn't even any temporary paving needed over the gap!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

This seems a bit mad...closing one of the busiest roads during the busiest period i.e. Right before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

MYOB wrote: »
    Did anyone object in time?

If it's anything like the notice that they put up about proposed the removal of the Briarhill RAB in Galway (a sign with 10 font text inside a tunnel that nobody uses) very few people will have seen it to object.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,857 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Buffman wrote: »
    Yep, closing the motorway between two major cities for the 3 weeks before Christmas, somebody isn't thinking too much about the economy.

Why can't they close it for night time only and work out of hours?

Pretty sure it's 100kph still. And as much as I appreciate your enthusiasm. I doubt Ballinasloe or Athlone can be seen as 'major cities.
    Seriously though, aren't those yellow sections of barrier made for contraflow?
    Although, as I see it if you do go Contraflow, you have to reduce speed to 80Kmh max, and both directions are down to one lane, this way only westbound is down to one lane and they have a 100kmh limited road to travel on while eastbound remain unaffected.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

flazio wrote: »
    I doubt Ballinasloe or Athlone can be seen as 'major cities.

Maybe not, but Dublin and Galway certainly are.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 fti

How come that 28 months after the road opening there's already some work to be done ? Must have been some very good quality work indeed ! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭Buffman

And as much as I appreciate your enthusiasm. I doubt Ballinasloe or Athlone can be seen as 'major cities.

Ha, yes, I'd have to agree with you there, but I was referring to Dublin and Galway, the major cities which the motorway connects.
    Although, as I see it if you do go Contraflow, you have to reduce speed to 80Kmh max, and both directions are down to one lane, this way only westbound is down to one lane and they have a 100kmh limited road to travel on while eastbound remain unaffected.

Yep, I see where your coming from, but I still think they've taken the lazy option by closing the road. That stretch of motorway is around 19km long, and unless they are going to get hundreds of people working on it, it's not going to be all worked on at the same time. With minimal planning they should be able to only need 1 or 2 km closed at a time, even if it required removing a section of the central barrier to allow a contraflow.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

fti wrote: »
    How come that 28 months after the road opening there's already some work to be done ? Must have been some very good quality work indeed ! :mad:

I would hope that the final payment to the contractors was withheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

:pac:

yeah right

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It is due about now. The imminent retention payment is evidently what has the contractor back fixing the flooding issue.

http://www.galwaycoco.ie/en/Services/RoadsTransportation/RoadsProgramme/Roads%20Programme%202011.pdf

Its hardly like they are building any roads is it ??
    The grant allocated by the National Roads Authority for the year 2011 is €70,116,530 which represents a
    decrease of €108,899,000 or 60.81% on the initial 2010 allocation. The 2011 allocation divides as follows:
    Improvement Works €68,340,000
    Maintenance Works € 1,776,530

Athlone/Ballinasloe € 4,418,500

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Athlone businesses slam timing of motorway closure
    Friday, November 25, 2011 - 04:32 PM

The Athlone Chamber of Commerce has said it is "outraged" at plans to close part of the main Dublin to Galway motorway for up to three weeks before Christmas.

Roscommon County Council has said the motorway between the Roscommon exit and Monkland will close between December 5 and 23, forcing motorists to use the old Dublin to Galway road.

It said it will be carrying out roadworks to deal with drainage issues, but the road would only be closed for three weeks in the event of bad weather.

President of Athlone Chamber of Commerce Michael O Brien told iRadio that the council really didn't put any thought into the timing of the roadworks.

Link

wrote:
    The Athlone Chamber of Commerce has said it is "outraged" at plans to close....

I have not been living In Ireland for long but on countless occasions I read that "City Council is outraged" or "Councillors are outraged" ...

Wouldn't be time to start acting rather than being outraged ?
    Prevention is said to be better than cure, isn't it ?

(I know that in this case Athlone doesn't have such a grip on Roscommon co council ... just a recurrent thought while reading stories about outraged people ...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Aidan1

Wouldn't the closure of part of the Motorway mean it was more likely that consumers would be less likely to travel long distances (to Dublin/Galway), and instead spend their disposable income closer to home, and thus actually be of benefit to Athlone in the run up to Christmas?

Also, 'outrage' is the emotion most likely to get a Councillor's name in the paper; 'mildly peeved', 'quite unhappy', or 'slightly put out' are much less successful.

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't the closure of part of the Motorway mean it was more likely that consumers would be less likely to travel long distances (to Dublin/Galway), and instead spend their disposable income closer to home, and thus actually be of benefit to Athlone in the run up to Christmas?

Might make a few from east Galway decide to brave the city traffic, which is driving them away from Galway (excuse the unintended pun).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Aidan1 wrote: »

Also, 'outrage' is the emotion most likely to get a Councillor's name in the paper; 'mildly peeved', 'quite unhappy', or 'slightly put out' are much less successful.
    It will be bad for Athlone. Quite a few people in East Galway (county and even the East side of Galway City) head to Athlone to shop. Nobody would blame them because Galway is such a disaster with traffic and parking.

KevR wrote: »
    It will be bad for Athlone.
    ... and for people like me, commuting between Athlone & Galway, it means a ****ty December month.

BTW, has anyone seen any sign on the side road saying "This road is going to be closed down for 3 weeks, starting next Monday. We're almost sorry." ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

KevR wrote: »
    It will be bad for Athlone. Quite a few people in East Galway (county and even the East side of Galway City) head to Athlone to shop. Nobody would blame them because Galway is such a disaster with traffic and parking.

Why would anyone in east galway decide not to go to athlone just because the motorway is closed? If they where to make that decision then they would be morons. The old road is still in good condition, & with the speed limit still 100km & it actually being a few km's shorter, it works out much of a muchness to head that way.

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Why would anyone in east galway decide not to go to athlone just because the motorway is closed? If they where to make that decision then they would be morons. The old road is still in good condition, & with the speed limit still 100km & it actually being a few km's shorter, it works out much of a muchness to head that way.

I take it you've never driven on the old N6 between Ballinasloe & Athlone. It's a half hour if there's any traffic. On the motorway its a half hour to Galway city.

Advertisement