Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hard case panniers

Options
  • 12-11-2011 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some hard case panniers opposed to the leather types

Anyone know a good place to pick some up online or even in a real shop :)
    Preferably cheap

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Hard luggage is not cheap but you could try Crossans in Newry, here's a link to their luggage

http://www.thevisorshop.com/acatalog/Hard_Luggage_Systems.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

thats pricier than I thought, I think I will look out for something secondhand.
    I was thinking side panniers that could be locked rather than a top box.
    It would be to put stuff in while riding not to keep secured at destination.
    Do people recommend locking the helmet in the top box? seen some locked to the bike but leaves it open to getting soaked or maybe damaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Merch wrote: »
    thats pricier than I thought, I think I will look out for something secondhand.
    I was thinking side panniers that could be locked rather than a top box.
    It would be to put stuff in while riding not to keep secured at destination.
    Do people recommend locking the helmet in the top box? seen some locked to the bike but leaves it open to getting soaked or maybe damaged?

On any of mine that have a top box I awalys put my lid in it when I'm out and about. If it hasn't got a top box I always carry my lid with me, I wouldn't leave chained to the bike. Occassionally I may use the lockable holder on the side, but only if I am only going to be away from the bike for a short time. I dislike the idea of leaving it out in the open.

I'd prefer panniers than a top box, until I saw the prices! I was thinking of the hard type in a classic styling opposed to the leather ones (even if they have a plastic case interior).
    It looks like I may end up going for a top box :(

The ones mentioned above nearly approach the price of my bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,279 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Good hard luggage isn't cheap, but can be sold on, or can be used on your next bike. Givi is top quality and have fitting kits for just about any bike.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement

Any good places to get something cheap and cheerful? not sure if there are any markets where this can be gotten?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Any good places to get something cheap and cheerful? not sure if there are any markets where this can be gotten?

Sorry to repeat, but, hard luggage isn't cheap, end of.

If it is, there's something wrong with it.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'd prefer panniers than a top box, until I saw the prices! I was thinking of the hard type in a classic styling opposed to the leather ones (even if they have a plastic case interior).
    It looks like I may end up going for a top box :(

The ones mentioned above nearly approach the price of my bike!

There's a mate of mine selling a pair of Kappa K40 paniers for €200 if you're interested? Used only once so they're like new! Let me know if you're interseted. :)

is that a modern or classic looking gear?

is that a modern or classic looking gear?

dis be dem -

kappak40.jpg

• Advertisement

ok, they look modern, my bike is classic style, I may try a cheap leather option, I know people will say its cheap for a reason but its just in the interim.
    Thanks for the offer though

No worries. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'd say you'd be doing well to get panniers and mounts for under €500. If it's for a cruiser style bike, american sites are good. But then you have import duty and high shipping.

My advice is to find a forum that's specific to your bike and take a look there. I could list about 10 sites that have decent metal box panniers, but they won't be much use to you.

Advertisement