Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostrate advert

Options
  • 11-11-2011 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

What do people think of the current advert about getting one's prostrate checked? Various "celebrities" are heard encouraging men not to be afraid to use the word and to discuss prostrate issues. "There, I've said it" or words to that effect. Big deal!!
    Do they not realise that the word "prostrate" is not the problem. The problem word is CANCER which is automatically associated with any problems with the prostrate. Why is this so? I recently had a urinary problem associated with the prostrate, but fortunately tests have shown that there is no sign of cancer. Nevertheless and discussion about my recent illness with family or friends constantly turns to cancer.
    What do others feel about this ad???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

redmca2 wrote: »
    What do people think of the current advert about getting one's prostrate checked? Various "celebrities" are heard encouraging men not to be afraid to use the word and to discuss prostrate issues. "There, I've said it" or words to that effect. Big deal!!
    Do they not realise that the word "prostrate" is not the problem. The problem word is CANCER which is automatically associated with any problems with the prostrate. Why is this so? I recently had a urinary problem associated with the prostrate, but fortunately tests have shown that there is no sign of cancer. Nevertheless and discussion about my recent illness with family or friends constantly turns to cancer.

I actually disagree...getting men talking about the parts of your body most associated with cancer is not at all a bad thing to achieve...talking about cancer in the past was certainly "taboo"- my own experience these days is that cancer is so commonplace that if cancer is found, the immediate conversation starts around "is it primary or secondary?"...it's that blunt....

Anything that helps men check their bits is a good thing in my opinion....the word "Cancer" is just a bit too broad...nothing to do with taboo as far as my experience goes these days...but it was in the past...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭golden virginia

Look men get prostrate problem,,, and they should'nt jump to conclusions about cancer.
    My very ould dad has had prostrate problems for the last twenty years, including surgery - cancer has never been a problem. he has been through a lot of prostrate procedures and i have had been through them with him too. i Just say to him, well this sort of thing is what what women have to go through all time,,,and he just laughs it off!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Do they not realise that the word "prostrate" is not the problem.

You're absolutely right! The problem word is "prostate". ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭GreyEagle

Been There, Done That, strongly recommend testing for all men over 50-55.

This time three years ago I had my prostate checked by means of a simple blood test (PSA). This showed an elevated PSA level indicating there might be a problem. Subsequent biopsy showed the risk to be low. I was on a Watch & Wait programme for about a year (it could have been for the rest of my life) when suddenly the level rose to a point where treatment was indicated. I had all the facts in my possession and opted for Brachytherapy. That was summer 2010. I’m in great health now and getting on with life.

If this had been neglected the situation would by now be quite serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Yes the spelling was wrong in the OP???

Good man for stopping a serious issue being talked about.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

chucken1 wrote: »
    Yes the spelling was wrong in the OP???

Good man for stopping a serious issue being talked about.

I'm not stopping anyone from doing anything. Get over yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Spread

Absolutely correct! Spelling slip ups like so should not be taken lying down ;)

My PCP has slotted me in for a test a week before Christmas. She asked why so far away and I replied that I wanted to be sitting comfortably for Christmas Dinner! :) Oops! Wrong answer ......... my test is for bowel cancer. Have had the prostate test. Both tests are routine out here as they rely more on preventative measures or at least early diagnosis. All men from 50 - 55 onwards are encouraged to have a full medical every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

As another, along with GreyEagle, who has been there, done that and got the T-shirt, I strongly recommend every man over 50 to have their PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) checked the next time they're in with the G.P. It's just a simple blood test, just like a cholestrol test, so not much to worry about.

The vast majority of men will not have PCa and most of those who do will die with it, NOT because of it. The average age, in Ireland, for diagnosis is 69. My (layman's) take on it is that the younger you are diagnosed, the more aggressive the Cancer. (I was 56, with a small but very aggressive little B!)

If your father had PCa, you have a have 1 in 6 chance of developing PCa. If a sibling had it, it's 1 in 4. If you have more than 1 close relative with PCa, then odds are shorter - get yourself checked out asap. If you have a first degree relative with PCa, the U.S. recommendation is testing from age 40.

So.....I had a Radical Prostatectomy over 3 years ago...How am I doing?? Pretty damn good now!

Wrt the original post: The point of the ad is to get men talking about PCa. In general, men don't talk about it - certainly not in the way women talk about some of the many forms of Cancer that women can get (Cervical, Breast, etc). Again, in general, men are an absolute disaster when it comes to looking after their health - they are almost dragged to the G.P. by their wives/girlfriends/partners/whatever. Lads, ffs, look out for yourselves.

...Oh!.....and by the way.....I had no symptoms...right up to the day of surgery.....just a simple blood test saved my life!!

Early Diagnosis is absolutely vital!! Lads...nip it in the bud! - Girls, drag him down to the G.P. tomorrow!!...Your health is your wealth...you can't get it back when it's gone!

Advertisement