Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payments being returned to my account

Options
  • 11-11-2011 5:57pm

I have a Visa debit with Ulster Bank. Occasionally when I buy items online the money gets returned to my account for a time. What I mean is I buy something, the money is taken out and then a day or two later it returns temporarily. I was wondering what would happen if I withdrew the money from the account before it gets taken out again? I'm just curious why this happens.

Anybody have any idea what I'm on about? :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Moved to Banking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Never seen this before. Contact your branch for an explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

AFAIK the company authorizes the payment to check the card is valid and funds available but don't take the money. So it is returned to your card. Then they charge the card on dispatch. Happened to me a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

ive noticed this too with my ub visa debit. its a pain in the hole and makes it difficult to work out where you stand financially sometimes.

ive taken the money out a few times and my account ends up overdrawn. then i get charged unauth od fees.

i keep meaning to call them about it but just never get around it to.

Advertisement