Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange phone calls

Options
  • 11-11-2011 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Twice today my friend has received a call that shows up as 'Father' on her phone, when she answers there is no one there.
    There is no one called Father in her contacts and the phone has no record of these calls in the call log.

The strange thing about this is that my friends father has been dead for several years now.

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?
    I assume someone is playing a cruel joke on her but does anyone know how it works? Or have phone networks branched off into the afterlife now too?
    :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Epic practical joke is epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

it was me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Has your friend been into the sherry by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Woooooo wooooooo wooo woooooooooooo woooo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

if father is dead then who was phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭stupidfishy

You know that was my first thought too, I assumed she must have lost a few of her marbles somewhere but there were other people around that witnessed both of these calls!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

Someone has been watching The Twilight Zone - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Night_Call

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

woah, spooky.

It might be a more advanced version of that scam that was going around when a company would ring your phone, not speak, and it would cost you money. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭mr.wiggle

Ya, just type in 'fake caller id' into google search and you can see its a scam thats being doing the rounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Those Indian "windows support" scammers do something similar, some use a type of proxy to appear to be ringing from from the uk

So this is probably the new thing, a bit like BoltBlue a few years ago, texts could be sent anonymously with only boltblue showing up

Wouldn't be surprised if it was a reverse call charge

Reminds me a bit of someone I knew of who was buried with their phone a few years ago, friends of hers would often ring and leave a message
    but Meteor reissued the number which led to the phone ringing again after a year or so and being answered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Throw it on the ground, that ain't her Dad, thats a cellphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Similar thing happens to me all the time - I get a phone call and it appears 'mam' or 'dad' - I usually hang up or let if ring through - Both parents are alive but i just dont want to take the risk incase they are scammers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Similar thing happens to me all the time - I get a phone call and it appears 'mam' or 'dad' - I usually hang up or let if ring through - Both parents are alive but i just dont want to take the risk incase they are scammers!

And what if it is your mother or father who's calling?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

And what if it is your mother or father who's calling?:confused:

maybe he has different names for them stored, like mammy and daddy

Advertisement