Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mechanic/fitter thinking of moving to oz...

Options
  • 11-11-2011 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

Hey guys. I have a few friends in Australia, Im a quallified agri/diesel fitter/mechanic. They have been telling me of the big money there is to be made in my trade in Oz. I have looked into it a fair bit the last few weeks. I sent my cv to a mining company looking for fitters and set up a profile with a recruitment agency for mechanical work in Aus/NZ. They are talking about big money, one figure mentioned was $145,000 per year on a 2 week on 1 week off work schedule with 12 hour days. Sounds very enticing! I assume that is before tax. Most of the companies Ive heard of pay for your visa, flights and travel costs but you are expected to stay 2-4 years with them. The places where the work is are very remote. I am over 30 so I need to have a sponsor before I can work in Australia.

Is there anyone who has worked or is working as a fitter in Australia, and is the money as good as I am being led to believe? I am sure the work would be pretty demanding. I would love to hear from any of you who can give me anymore information.

Thanks,
    Richiee

Advertisement