Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance on a Mazda MX5

Options
  • 11-11-2011 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

I am currently looking to buy a Mazda MX5 but can't seem to get an insurance quote.

I am a 24 year old male with a full licence for 4 years. I found 1993 model, 1.6 litre online which I was thinking about buying. I have tried a lot of sites online to get a quote and none will quote me.

Aviva quoted me E1000 until I rang them up to confirm this and they said that would be the price an a standard 1.6 litre Mazda and said they wouldn't quote anyone on that car. They consider the MX5 a 'high performance' car.

Are there any drivers who are insured on a MX5 that is under 25 years old? Does anyone know what companies insure young drivers on these cars?

I can't really see the problem as it is not a very fast car. Is it that its a convertable? or a two seater?

Thanks for the help
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sign up to the Irish owner's club site, you will probably get better advice there:

http://www.mx5ireland.com/

The fact it is a convertible is more of importance to insurance companies than the top speed of it. Convertibles are easier to break into, also the fact that there are alot of Jap imports about which don't have immobilisers making them a prime target for joyriders as they can be started without the key.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

I was 25 and got insurance on an S2000 from xsdirect.ie.

Cheap insurance but a high excess(€1-4k). Depends on whether you're willing to take the gamble or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hi im with with Axa :)
    once i passed 21 and got my full they have to provide me with a quote :)
    Iv a high performance levin insured with them and its only 42 or something for the month which is good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Mx5 1.8rs import was the cheapest car I've ever had to insure, fully comp for less than 300euro. That was with 123.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi im with with Axa :)
    once i passed 21 and got my full they have to provide me with a quote :)
    Iv a high performance levin insured with them and its only 42 or something for the month which is good :)

I am quite bemused by that.

Why do they have to quote you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I was 25 and got insurance on an S2000 from xsdirect.ie.

Cheap insurance but a high excess(€1-4k). Depends on whether you're willing to take the gamble or not.

XS Direct won't insure on anything older than 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

MugMugs wrote: »
    I am quite bemused by that.

Why do they have to quote you?

Thats what the branch manager said when i was 20 :) he said come back after your 21 with a full and we'l quote you on anything :) of course the price be through the roof :)
    Least i know i can get quoted on a 180sx and 200sx:) lots of people i know 21-25 cant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,227 ✭✭✭ongarite

Was thinking of getting a first-gen MX5 as a weekend run around.
    Any chance of getting classic insurance rates on these? was thinking of early 90s model with hard-top.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ongarite wrote: »
    Any chance of getting classic insurance rates on these? was thinking of early 90s model with hard-top.

Yep. It depends on the insurer and the car must be over 20 years old. Have a look at the insurance thread in the charter of the classic cars forum :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I was 22 or 23 when I got insurance for mx5 1.8 10th anniversery edition.

Quinn refused to insure me when I asked have to be 35 years old lol. Then I just bough mx5, called them and said that I bough a new car and want to update policy. No problem sir 200eu extra on your current policy...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

GF's MX5 is insured with 123.ie, they where reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ongarite wrote: »
    Yes, I'm insured with First Ireland, and to add the Mazda on to my Porsche cost me......€ 80. B-). . . .my one turns 22 next year :-)

Brilliant car.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement