Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whale-watching in the South-East

Options
  • 11-11-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭

I was reading on IWDG website how there is a notable shift of the large whales from the south-west up to the south-east at this time of year.

As West Cork was always that bit too far for me in recent years, this is a very exciting development.

So considering the whale activity in lhe last year or so around Hook Head and Waterford, has anyone been out with a local whale-watching vessel in that area recently, and can you post your experiences?

Thanks,
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 paddy1977

Im living in Waterford and am just starting to get into Whale Watching now, was out on Sunday for 2 hours, no joy but shall keep you posted (im spotting from land with a telescope) but i know there are seeing plenty of Fin Whales and dolphins off Hook at the min in boats, a friend of mine was out fishing on a boat last monday from dunmore east (opposite hook) and said there was a pile of dolphins around!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 misswhat

Planning on going this weekend whether or not the day tours are going out! Does anyone know if they are out this weekend? I emailed them but havn't gotten a response yet! 2 Killer Whales have been spotted around Cork twice in the past couple of weeks it would be a shame if they weren't taking people out to see this magnificent creature, as we don't often get the chance! If not i'll be watching from the shore :( Then again, better than nothing eh!

The IWDG have a number of contacts up on there homepage for whale watching tour operators, i assume your in Cork, there are a number of them but none down in the Oysterhaven direction where the 2 killer whales were spotted! Check out there homepage and go to whale watching!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Hey there Paddy, I'm living in Dunmore. Whereabouts were you watching? I was in Hook last weekend as well. I am really hopeful to see some whales, perhaps you can share tips.

Im not at it long myself so have no tips im afraid :) i have been out a few times with a telescope, from Hookhead to Bunmahon, but haven't had any luck, i have bought myself a small inflatable boat though so im hoping to have some luck with that, ill be trying it out next wkend weather permitting, i am going on the IWDG whale watching training course in september on Cape Claire island so if i get some tips there ill certainly pass them along :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement