Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Query About Applying for Jobs Online...

Options
  • 11-11-2011 3:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 579 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering is it a complete waste of time??

I am out of work since Summer having being made redundant, since then I
    have been looking in the areas of administration, office management mainly but not exclusively in dublin but to no avail so far despite having quite a healthy cv imo and quite a few years experience as a professional.

I frequently check the likes of Fas/irishjobs.ie/recruitireland/jobs.ie etc etc
    and I've applied for numerous positions.

The problem is apart from the very odd reply email where I've perhaps been underskilled and unsuited to the position I have found I've barely received a response bar the automated email receipt you receive when you apply through a website. And I am careful to apply for jobs where I do match the requirement list and in many cases feel I am quite overskilled for them.

Despite carefully writing cover letters where asked and filling in questionnaires in some cases and taking great care and attention it just has not been working.

Where am I going wrong? I thought an interview or two at the very least might come from all of this but not a hint of one so far.

Is it because I need to follow up on them and call the employer or agency directly to indicate serious interest? I thought the idea of online adverts was efficiency for the employer so they can receive your cv and contact you directly if they're interested.

I have found recruitment agencies quite poor also, I have joined a few and literally told them at interview that I'd consider any sort of work but a few months on and they haven't offered a thing.

I'm just wondering if other people out there are experiencing the same difficulties and if anyone can advise what can I do to boost my chances because it really is frustrating.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have had the same experience , apart from a huge volume of applications being a possible reason for no replies , I have a horrible suspicion that the positions may not actually exist and the agency concerned is engaging in a CV ' harvesting ' exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Do some research on companies expanding. Also put the word out to friends and family. Don't rely solely on the web.

Advertisement