Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonable Insurance with dd conviction??

Options
  • 11-11-2011 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

Stupidly made a mistake more than 3 years ago of getting behind the wheel after a good bit of drink. Got pulled at checkpoint and served my 2 years disqualification which ended in May 2011.

Currently working in Dublin so won't need a car for the foreseeable future but out of curiosity called insure.ie recently for a quote on a car worth €8,000. Came back with a quote for €9,500!!! Guy on the phone said I'd probably be better off going directly to some of the insurance companies and taking an excess on the insurance (Say, I'd pay the first €3,000 of damage if I was in a crash) and I should get it cheaper. Haven't tried it yet but just wondering if anyone has any idea where the cheapest place to get insured is for a prior dd conviction or what's the best way to go about it?

Will prob get a few smart replies like just don'e drink & drive but any relevant advice would be greatly appreciated.

And trust me, I have my lesson well and truly learned on drink driving.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Shilt happens. Online & direct insurers are probably not the home for you. Get a good broker to find a niche market for your circumstances. Main Street insurers don't like DD convictions

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Your previous insurer might be the best bet. Otherwise, try a broker. there will be a loading of around 200% for your conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There's lots of similar threads over on the Motors forum, do a search and you'll get lots of advice.

Advertisement