Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popcorn Hour C-200 - €199.95

Options
  • 11-11-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/

Details here:
    http://ie-en.forum.ibood.com/7456-popcorn_hour_c-200_full_hd_media_player_with_two_sata_slots_and_networking_capabilities/

(phone friendly version)
    Popcorn Hour C-200 Full HD Media Player with Two SATA Slots and Networking Capabilities

You need a device under your television that’s capable of doing everything. It shouldn’t just play your DVD’s or Blu-ray’s. Nor should it just be capable of playing your favorite media files or displaying them in Full HD quality. No, it should be capable of doing all of the above and more! It should support every media container and video codes you can think of, handle any audio format, display every picture and be capable of storing all of that on a fast hard drive while saving firmware updates from the Internet automatically. You don’t think such a device exists? Think again, because we’re offering the almighty Popcorn Hour C-200 today! Okay, almighty might be a bit too high of a qualification for this device, but it’s definitely not far from that. The C-200 is far beyond the simple term ‘media player’. It’s of course capable of playing all of your media, but contrary to many other media players, this device offers you the freedom to alter it to your every need. When you buy this machine, it is an empty shell with many connections. You can connect USB sticks and external hard disks to its four USB ports or connect it to the internet or your local network with the gigabit Ethernet connection. If you like your entertainment to be more solid, you can fill the voids in this machine with an internal hard disk or even build in a Blu-ray player! The possibilities are endless with this device. Just setting it up will prove to be highly entertaining for every media- and gadget lover. And when it’s set up, there’s only more enjoying to be done! It can play nearly every media type that is available today. The engineers of Popcorn Hour regularly post updates that the C-200 will download automatically. And it won’t just download that. Since it utilizes a host of different network protocols, you can download movies, music and more with it as well. BitTorrent, SAMBA and Windows Media Connect are just a few of the protocols this media monster supports. All of your media can be displayed on your television in Full HD quality through the HDMI connection. And not just your images will be of the highest quality, your audio will be as well. It can pass through audio in nearly any format: DTS-HD and Dolby True HD are just a few examples of what the C-200 can handle. Don’t have a receiver? Don’t worry, because this media player has an audio mix-down feature. That way, you’re capable of enjoying your audio on any device. You can browse through your entire media collection with the sleek menus on the Popcorn Hour, or you could just use the LCD display on the front of this device. A particularly useful feature when you just want to play some music: select your favorite playlists and just hit the pay button, without the need to turn on your TV. If you want just one device that can do it all, make sure it’s the Popcorn Hour C-200 Full HD Media Player with Two SATA Slots and Networking Capabilities!
    Brand: Syabas
    Type: Popcorn Hour C-200
    Chipset: Sigma Design SMP8643
    Supported video containers: M1V, M2V, M4V, M2P, MPG, DAT, VOB, TS, TP, TRP, M2T, M2TS, MTS, AVI, ASF, WMV, MKV, MOV, MP4, RMP4
    Supported video codecs: MPEG1/2/4, h.264, VC-1, WMV9
    Supported subtitle formats: SRT, SUB/IDX, SSA
    Supported audio formats: ac3, dts, wma, wma pro, mp1, mp2, mp3, aac, he-aac, bsac, lcpm, flac, vorbis
    Supported image formats: jpeg, bmp, png, gif
    Supported network protocols: upnp, dlna, ftp, samba, nfs, BitTorrent, usenet (nzb), bonjour, windows media connect
    Audio pass through: DTS, DTS-HD HR, DTS-HD MA, Dolby True HD
    Audio down mix feature
    Capable of playing Blu-ray and DVD ISO’s
    Maximum resolution: up to 1080p
    Firmware updates: automatic and manual
    Video connections: 1x HDMI 1.3, 1x composite, 1x component, 1x s-video
    Audio connections: 1x analog RCA, 1x s/pdif optical, 1x s/pdif coaxial
    Data connections: 1x 10/100/1000Mb-ethernet; 4x usb 2.0 (external); 1x usb 2.0 (internal); 2x sata (internal)
    Included: NMT C-200 (hard drive optional), power cable, 1.5 m HDMI cable, remote control with 2 AAA batteries, short printed manual, CD
    Manual: http://www.ibood.com/assets/docs/PopcornHour_C-200_UserGuide.pdf
    Delivery: 7 – 10 business days
    Dimensions: 425 x 290 x 80 mm
    Weight: 3,7 kilo
    Warranty: 2 years

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

out of interest, are these things not well outmoded by now?
    the likes of XBMC on ATV2 or ION are lightyears ahead and potentially cheaper when you consider this doesnt even come with a HDD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

subway wrote: »
    out of interest, are these things not well outmoded by now?
    the likes of XBMC on ATV2 or ION are lightyears ahead and potentially cheaper when you consider this doesnt even come with a HDD

Its a different type of device. This is a serious media player, serious as in full BD-iso playback, BD menus, all the video formats, HD audio bitstreaming, the works. And being a standalone box, it's simpler, works out of the box plays and less to go wrong.

Saying that, most people don't need a serious media player. If you don't play BD isos, don't stream full BDs around the house, don't want to put a BluRay drive or big HDD inside, don't know what lossless audio is, etc...there is really no point in getting this device. You would be just as happy with a WDTV or similar for half the price.

ATV2...well its just a toy for techies really, to have a bit of fun hacking and putting stuff onto it. If it plays your stuff then great but its not an all-round media player at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Xtremer do better players with more functions for less

http://www.xtreamer.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Xtremer do better players with more functions for less

http://www.xtreamer.net/

The problem with Xtreamer is that they drop development 'like a hot snot' on older products as soon as new products come on-line. I wouldn't purchase again!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Panrich

€200 is a bit steep for me just to get a fancy interface and BD functionality. I have a 2 year old ASUS O!Play that plays all files that I can throw at it without a problem that was less than €90 at the time. This is also now being replaced by the C-300 so that would be a worry too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,406 ✭✭✭irishgeo

this model has been replaced by a newer model.

Popcorn Hour A-300 which is shipping soon.

i have one of these and its a fantastic bit of kit and the firmware is been upgraded every few months.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i have the a - 110 and seriously plays everything i hit it with still going strong for years and very customable, couldnt recommend the brand enough

• Registered Users Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

degsie wrote: »
    The problem with Xtreamer is that they drop development 'like a hot snot' on older products as soon as new products come on-line. I wouldn't purchase again!
    I am still getting updates and haven't had a single problem

• Registered Users Posts: 8,746 ✭✭✭degsie

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I am still getting updates and haven't had a single problem

For me, eTRAYz NAS, no update for over a year!

Xtreamer MK1, no update in several months....

Advertisement