Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT-VRT New Rules Private Sale

Options
  • 11-11-2011 12:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

The new VRT rules state that you have to produce an invoice to show when the car was bought in the UK when paying at the NCT centre. My questions are 1. What do you do if the car was bought privately? and 2. How does this apply if you buy a UK reg car from a private seller in Eire? You can see plenty of uk reg cars for sale on donedeal.ie and was wondering if there is any difficulty with paying on VRT them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Hand written reciept will do afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the owner of a UK or other foreign reg car is not entitled to sell it in this country .

You would need to be creative to get around the NCTS system and theres no guarantee that the Revenue wont already have spotted it. Get the seller to VRT it before sale would be my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Hand written as per kildare.

I had no bill of sale with me and the official told me to write something on a piece of paper with date and amount.

Best do that beforehand though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

corktina wrote: »
    the owner of a UK or other foreign reg car is not entitled to sell it in this country .

Where exactly is it forbidden?
    Any link would be great.

1. What do you do if the car was bought privately?
    2. How does this apply if you buy a UK reg car from a private seller in Eire?

I would add third question.

3. What if you buy UK car in UK, got a receipt or invoice, but keep it in UK, and only bring it to Ireland few months later? Surely you have to do VRT process within month of brining car to Ireland, not buying it abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CiniO wrote: »
    1. What do you do if the car was bought privately?
    2. How does this apply if you buy a UK reg car from a private seller in Eire?

I would add third question.

3. What if you buy UK car in UK, got a receipt or invoice, but keep it in UK, and only bring it to Ireland few months later? Surely you have to do VRT process within month of brining car to Ireland, not buying it abroad.
    Yes, you answered your own question.....you only VRT it when you bring it in.. .they might try and charge you based on when you bought it, maybe, but you still don't VRT it until it's actually in the country.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Yes, you answered your own question.....you only VRT it when you bring it in.. .they might try and charge you based on when you bought it, maybe, but you still don't VRT it until it's actually in the country.

Still sounds unfair to pay VRT based on value at the moment of sale, not the moment of import.

Other thing as well is how would they know when you brought it to the country?
    If from GB, then ferry ticket might be a proof, but in case of NI I can't see any way to prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

CiniO wrote: »
    Still sounds unfair to pay VRT based on value at the moment of sale, not the moment of import.

Other thing as well is how would they know when you brought it to the country?
    If from GB, then ferry ticket might be a proof, but in case of NI I can't see any way to prove it.

They don't charge you based on what you paid for it afaik, they go on the OMSP
    6) For vehicles imported from Northern Ireland, where the invoice is dated more that 30 days earlier than the date the vehicle is presented for registration, details of where the vehicle was stored.

Lads, any question you can probably think of about VRT, have a look at http://www.ncts.ie/vrt.html first - it's a pretty comprehensive FAQ

Op: If the car was bought privately, you should sign a receipt with the seller anyway (for your own personal records).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

We brought our UK reg. car to the NCTS the other day to do the VRT. They told us they didn't know what the VRT was and sent us on our way with a letter indicating we had been there and tried to pay the VRT. They said it could be weeks before somebody would ring us to tell us what our car would cost to clear.

Anybody been in this situation before? Its a bit ridiculous that somebody tries to pay a tax and gets shunned in this manner.

Its a normal car and we even brought the printout from the revenue site with the costings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

They usaally contact you in a few days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

the Minister Of Finance will be round in the morning to get the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

corktina wrote: »
    the Minister Of Finance will be round in the morning to get the cash.

Brown Envelope at the ready!

Advertisement