Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange lights on photos from observing night sky.

Options
  • 11-11-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I'm just back from a brief visit to Sweden where I had an opportunity to go out of the city to try and observe the aurora borealis. Alas there was nothing showing that night. However I set up the camera and took a good few shots of the sky. On looking at the shots later I noticed some strange lights on the images. At first I though they were dirt on the lens, but looking at a series of shots I took every 15 seconds they seem to behind clouds as they drifted by. I'm not too sure if it is a camera atrifact or an atmospheric phenomena. There's no dirt marks / dust on any of the other shots from the night. Has anyone any ideas thoughts etc... Full images and crops below

6333243436_7e3e77b426_z.jpg

6332496879_c041f75939_z.jpg

6332496707_9c869751ed_z.jpg

6332496987_586fba453e_z.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

muckish wrote: »
    I'm just back from a brief visit to Sweden where I had an opportunity to go out of the city to try and observe the aurora borealis. Alas there was nothing showing that night. However I set up the camera and took a good few shots of the sky. On looking at the shots later I noticed some strange lights on the images. At first I though they were dirt on the lens, but looking at a series of shots I took every 15 seconds they seem to behind clouds as they drifted by. I'm not too sure if it is a camera atrifact or an atmospheric phenomena. There's no dirt marks / dust on any of the other shots from the night. Has anyone any ideas thoughts etc... Full images and crops below

It certainly seems like like some contamination on the lense. The bottom one in the second photo looks like some refracted light that's out of focus. The different camera settings and bright light in an otherwise dark scene probably accentuated the effect.

Meanwhile, here's one I took from the Gravity Bar at the Guinness Hop Store on Sunday evening.

180998.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Artifact. I guarantee if you join the 3 main artifacts with lines and the 3 lights where the people are, and measure the angle subtended it will be exactly the same for the artifacts and the real lights. The fainter more elongated one to the right of the main three is related to the reflective strip on the jumper of the guy in the pic.

Second pic. One lightsource. One artifact.

All too much of a coincidence. Its likely dust on the CCD/Cmos of the camera which you can't inspect rather than dust on the lense of the camera that you can.

That said, go on and post this on a UFO or CT forum and watch the hilarity ensue as they debate this for the next 18 months. :D

As for Su Campus' pic, That is a rather chaotic arrangement of overhead spots they have in the ceiling of the storehouse isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Calibos wrote: »

As for Su Campus' pic, That is a rather chaotic arrangement of overhead spots they have in the ceiling of the storehouse isn't it?

Ah shush, keep it going a little longer eh! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Su Campu wrote: »
    Ah shush, keep it going a little longer eh! :D

Along with the Flying Saucers....I think......Yes, I think I see some flying sprinklers and a Flying smoke detector!! :D

Advertisement