Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

career sugestions in motorsport

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

this is my first thread on boards.

my question is what would be a good course to study in college if i wanted to work in
    the motorsport/automobile. im 18 nearly 19 and in leaving cert and i dont do physics in school and im poor at maths. i got a percentage in the mechanical engineering part of the dats test. i have a 125cc kart that i race but dont do motorsport ireland races. i love formula 1 its my favourite motorsport and idealy my dream job would be a pit mechanic for a f1 team. i would know my dream job would be very difficult to achieve.

any suggestions would be appreciated
    Thanks Andrew

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I know DIT do a course in Automotive management, not sure how good it is though.

Another option is to start an apprenticeship as a mechanic.

The second option may be the better IMO, if you're any way decent at it and show some initiative then you'll move up. I work with mechanics who've been brought to Japan and other places around the globe by their respective employers (E.G. Nissan) to compete in competitions because they're the best at what they do.

Slightly OT, but seeing as you race karts, you should check this out -

http://www.itcc.ie/itcc-video-2011/the-dream-is-waiting-do-you-have-what-it-takes.html

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭David6330

I think most technicians that work in F1 worked for smaller teams like F3, Formula Renault, etc. I doubt they walked straight in to F1 teams.

You must be able to handle pressure, work unsocial hours and adapt to living out of a suitcase.

I would try applying for an apprenticeship with Prodrive in the UK. They run the Mini rally team, the Aston Martin Le Mans team and used to run the Subaru rally team.

Most of the jobs in motorsport are engineering based so you need to be good at maths and physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

This is the course that will get you a good job in Motorsport.
    http://tech.brookes.ac.uk/teaching/pg/msc-in-motorsport-engineering

I'm studying Automotive Management & Technology at the moment.

Great course, although it's more orientated towards running a garage, for a big Motorsport team you might need to do more.

I'm trying to get funding to do the course in Oxford.

It's fairly expensive at £7000 a year + expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

/OT what class are you racing? KZ? KF3? Max? (Yuk LOL)

If you are serious about pursuing this, you need to go to the UK. Period. It is the epicenter of racing. A Motorsport Engineering degree will help for sure, but you will need strong math or it might frustrate you to tears.

Having said that very seriously consider what David6330 said. Working with a race team is not a life for everyone. 4or5AM until 9 or 10PM days, 7 days a week are not uncommon. I think the suggestions of gaining some work experience are very good ones. You could try contacting some of the teams over here and volunteer so you can get a sample of what its like. Find out from an F1 pit mechanic what a typical week is like, you might change your mind :)

Oh welcome to boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

As a slightly left field suggestion:

They pay you too!

For something as hands-on as mechanics its sometimes an option...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mr_Lee

/OT what class are you racing? KZ? KF3? Max? (Yuk LOL)

If you are serious about pursuing this, you need to go to the UK. Period. It is the epicenter of racing. A Motorsport Engineering degree will help for sure, but you will need strong math or it might frustrate you to tears.

Having said that very seriously consider what David6330 said. Working with a race team is not a life for everyone. 4or5AM until 9 or 10PM days, 7 days a week are not uncommon. I think the suggestions of gaining some work experience are very good ones. You could try contacting some of the teams over here and volunteer so you can get a sample of what its like. Find out from an F1 pit mechanic what a typical week is like, you might change your mind :)

Oh welcome to boards :)

Thanks a million to every one who replied your all very nice and have really helped a lot.

Super computer I race in kf3 but unfortunately my kart has been broken for a while should be fixed within the next week though, I'm dying to get back in the kart.
    Would I get payed much if I was working for a f3 team or similar team. I don't think is kind the long hours if I got decent pay. It's a good thing as well that I rarely drink when Im out.

Thanks again
    Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

I would suggest you take up an apprenticeship with Prodrive in the UK, they do offer them, a friend of mine was talking about going doing engine building with them, would have been a good job but he never went. Either that, or look at doing an apprenticeship as a mechanic with one of the big motorsport outfits here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

KF3 cool, hope you get it running again soon. Been doing KZ for the last couple of years stateside. I think you can be fairly sure that the pay to begin with any team is going to be pretty low.
    Came across this thread on karting1, might be some more info for you.... http://www.karting1.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7027

Advertisement