Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evening courses/career advice

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Dont know if anybody here will have any advice but basically Im looking to do something to bump up my skill set! I finished a four year degree in art history/classics tcd last year with the intention of eventually working in art restoration but for multiple reasons that's not going ahead (additional courses/internships I cant afford etc etc).

Before and during my degree I worked in hotels and in tourism, and while I enjoy my job and know Im lucky to have it, Im feeling really unfufilled and want more/maybe a change of direction or the ability to progress in this industry. I have no specific skills though, other than an arts degree and basic ECDL courses.

Ive been toying with doing something in web design/public relations/event management/business management/IT/aviation and a million other courses but Ive no idea what will benefit me the most. I've a wide area of interest as you can probably tell above. Would anybody have any reccomendations of a path to take/courses to go for/maybe somewhere that would take me on (even for free outside of my day job) to gain a bit more experience? I feel like I made a massive mistake undertaking the arts degree (doing it because I loved it without thinking about the long term career prospects) and I want to get proactive about getting on with my career.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but many people study IT because there are plenty of jobs in that area, but end up hating their job and their life. Please don't do something just because it will give you a wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but many people study IT because there are plenty of jobs in that area, but end up hating their job and their life. Please don't do something just because it will give you a wage.

That's how I thought originally-so I went into art restoration. Now I realise life requires money so want to boost my chances of further employment without wasting money on overpriced courses. I get what you're saying-I wouldnt like to work in IT support telling people to turn it off...aaand turn it back on again..but I would like to boost my CV with some practical skills that are useful in the job market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

If you were tending towards IT I would look at something in Graphics design or similar which would combine your already acquired skills in ART with an It related skill set which could have applications in Marketing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Azureus wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Dont know if anybody here will have any advice but basically Im looking to do something to bump up my skill set! I finished a four year degree in art history/classics tcd last year with the intention of eventually working in art restoration but for multiple reasons that's not going ahead (additional courses/internships I cant afford etc etc).

Before and during my degree I worked in hotels and in tourism, and while I enjoy my job and know Im lucky to have it, Im feeling really unfufilled and want more/maybe a change of direction or the ability to progress in this industry. I have no specific skills though, other than an arts degree and basic ECDL courses.

Ive been toying with doing something in web design/public relations/event management/business management/IT/aviation and a million other courses but Ive no idea what will benefit me the most. I've a wide area of interest as you can probably tell above. Would anybody have any reccomendations of a path to take/courses to go for/maybe somewhere that would take me on (even for free outside of my day job) to gain a bit more experience? I feel like I made a massive mistake undertaking the arts degree (doing it because I loved it without thinking about the long term career prospects) and I want to get proactive about getting on with my career.

Thanks for any suggestions!

You might consider an evening masters that TCD offers, the MSc in MIS - Management of Information Systems. It's not too technical, it draws in graduates from a variety of disciplines, it has industry leaders as visiting lecturers and other industry people on the teaching rota, there is one arts / social science module; there's a minor dissertation to be written. Two years part-time, a couple of evenings a week. Good stuff all round, and, despite appearances, a foundation in IT in your first degree is not an absolute requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

You might consider an evening masters that TCD offers, the MSc in MIS - Management of Information Systems. It's not too technical, it draws in graduates from a variety of disciplines, it has industry leaders as visiting lecturers and other industry people on the teaching rota, there is one arts / social science module; there's a minor dissertation to be written. Two years part-time, a couple of evenings a week. Good stuff all round, and, despite appearances, a foundation in IT in your first degree is not an absolute requirement.

Funny you should say that-I was looking into that course but I saw in the applications section that ''Applicants for this course must normally hold a good honors degree (at least upper second-class level) in computer science, information systems, information technology, business and information technology, computer engineering or a cognate discipline. Relevant professional experience is also desirable'' These I do not have, so figured it was a no-go for me :( Do you think it would be worth my time applying desipte having no real IT background?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

Azureus wrote: »
    Funny you should say that-I was looking into that course but I saw in the applications section that ''Applicants for this course must normally hold a good honors degree (at least upper second-class level) in computer science, information systems, information technology, business and information technology, computer engineering or a cognate discipline. Relevant professional experience is also desirable'' These I do not have, so figured it was a no-go for me :( Do you think it would be worth my time applying desipte having no real IT background?

Yes. Talk to them. They are very approachable and very flexible.

Demonstrate an interest, find some way of showing the relevance of your background, show how your background and skills will assist the mix in the class (which is really important to them, as they try to wider the perspective of the group who are doing the course), look at previous dissertation titles and come to them with a proposal of the sort of dissertation area you might be thinking of. Do a bit of advance thinking, put your thoughts in order, write one or two pages of your thoughts for your own mental clarification.

Remember that a taught masters is as much about learning from your fellow-atudents as from the lecturers, so you should argue for what you would be bringing to the seminar room; it's what you contribute as much as what you get back from the course that matters to the programme board. Remember that all graduates now will have used ICT products & services in a way that equips them to consider this domain of knowledge as one open to them through graduate school.

Arrange to see the course director.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 UPC

Find a job that you like and you will never work a day in your life

Advertisement