Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav for a bike?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭

My Da is turning 70 in January and he's humming and hawing about taking the bike through France to Nice and back again in early May. My Ma was thinking of getting him a Sat Nav of some description and was looking for advice. I'm aware of Sat Navs for cars, but I wasn't sure about mounting one on a bike or if it's even possible or advisable. Can't tell you the exact model of the bike right now, it's a '98 reg Yamaha 750 of some description.

In summary; are there Sat Navs for bikes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

They exist alright, there are bike specific models but they're about 250 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't bother buying a bike specific one, you can get a good car version and a waterproof bag mount for a hundred less than a bike version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Thanks guys. Anywhere you'd recommend I go to see what's available? Bricks & mortar or online, I've no real preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Simona1986 wrote: »
    They exist alright, there are bike specific models but they're about 250 euro.

€ 250 ??

Show where that is......I have a Rider Tom-Tom and total cost with bits'n'pieces was around €700..........

Don't forget, the bike-specific one also acts as a phone kit, and comes c/w headset/mic etc, and can send/received texts to the screen, so a car-only one would have fewer functions.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,822 ✭✭✭Alkers

That was a ballpark figure from what I remember.
    Here's one but I've no idea how good or otherwise it is:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6879598/art/mappy/mini-330-gps-for-motorbik.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Simona1986 wrote: »
    That was a ballpark figure from what I remember.
    Here's one but I've no idea how good or otherwise it is:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6879598/art/mappy/mini-330-gps-for-motorbik.html

Bah gum, that's a good price.

I bought mine from Pixmania too btw, this one: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6127856/art/tomtom/urban-rider-pro-gps-for-e.html

I see price has come down a lot ! (mind you, it has been 2 years.....)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

galwaytt wrote: »
    € 250 ??

Show where that is......I have a Rider Tom-Tom and total cost with bits'n'pieces was around €700..........

Don't forget, the bike-specific one also acts as a phone kit, and comes c/w headset/mic etc, and can send/received texts to the screen, so a car-only one would have fewer functions.

Don't forget, they also come with a motorcycle mount. Usually easier to read in the sun,

I got a Garmin Zumo 550, came with a bike mount plus a car mount. Handy for using it in the car too. Mine cost about 600 quid about 5 years ago.
    A quick check, it costs more now :eek:
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/garmin-zumo-550.html

Louis have the tomtom urban rider for 250.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Don't forget, they also come with a motorcycle mount. Usually easier to read in the sun,

I got a Garmin Zumo 550, came with a bike mount plus a car mount. Handy for using it in the car too. Mine cost about 600 quid about 5 years ago.
    A quick check, it costs more now :eek:
    http://www.harveynorman.ie/garmin-zumo-550.html

Likewise, I have the Zumo 550 and it was about €650 about four years ago. Handy enough to hook up and very handy as it pair with your phone (if you have bluetooth of course). So with my in-built speakers, I can listen to music, hear directions and receive calls if needs be.

To answer the OP, it doesn't matter what make/model the bike is, the sat-navs all hook up to the battery. I have to say, I use mine a good bit and they're very handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭munsterleinster

Bike GPS are unjustifiably expensive..but they do get very good money if you sell on second hand.

I had a Zumo 550 and using a Zumo 660 now. Loaded with features such as 2 bluetooth, MP3 player, sync's with your phone's contacts, car kit etc. They come with all the mounting stuff and are charged off the bike's battery.

Got mine in MemoryC is located in Celbridge:
    http://www.memoryc.com/gpsnavigation/systems/garminzumo660motorcyclegpseuropeanmaps43inchscreen.html

Garmin also do a Zumo 220..It's cheaper with one bluetooth and smaller screen.

Bike GPS is one of the best investments if you're planning to do some travelling.

• Advertisement

Bike GPS is one of the best investments if you're planning to do some travelling.

Absolutely!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Absolutely!!

I just use my Android phone, Google Maps does turn by turn directions, so I can listen to music but still hear when I need to turn :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't bother buying a bike specific one, you can get a good car version and a waterproof bag mount for a hundred less than a bike version.

It doesn't just need to be waterproof, it needs to be easy to use with bulky bike gloves on.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    I just use my Android phone, Google Maps does turn by turn directions, so I can listen to music but still hear when I need to turn :)

It's annoying when you're in an area with no coverage. Which is half of rural ireland once you're off the beaten track!

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

galwaytt wrote: »
    Bah gum, that's a good price.

I bought mine from Pixmania too btw, this one: http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/6127856/art/tomtom/urban-rider-pro-gps-for-e.html

I see price has come down a lot ! (mind you, it has been 2 years.....)

The same one is a few quid cheaper from Amazon, incl. delivery:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-Rider-Pro-Europe/dp/B003O1Z4LW/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_1

I got the non-pro version for around £245 - the Scala Rider headset is too delicate for an oaf like me (I broke my old one within 2 months)
    It's pretty good so far, but I haven't had the chance to try it outside of Ireland yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

I bought a Garmin Quest a few years ago. Cost about €180 with mount. Completely waterproof. Doubt you'd be able to find one of these now though.

You could just use an Android with Google Maps and audible directions turned on & a pair of earphones attached. Use GPS when out of range of towers, but it eats battery.

I'm shocked at some of the prices quoted above. I'd rather use an old paper map than pay €700 for a SatNav. It's decades old tech FFS.

ninja900 wrote: »
    It doesn't just need to be waterproof, it needs to be easy to use with bulky bike gloves on.
    I stuck my Garmin 265w on my bike and it worked fine with midweight gloves, the widescreen models have bigger buttons than the bike models.
    The bike versions all seem to be fairly small as well, probably to save handlebar real estate.
    I still wouldn't buy a bike specific model, they are too expensive for the few extra features IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HazardsOn

A big +1 for the Garmin Zumo 550. They occasionally crop up 2nd hand - I was lucky to get mine this way.

However, here is a link to a new one, with European maps preloaded.

http://www.handtec.co.uk/product.php/369/garmin-zumo-550/abf0be784263d36bb19a2e172bec36bf

Personally, I'd be reluctant to go with anything other than a dedicated biker satnav, Garmin or TomTom, as the last thing you want when you're tired after a long day and you've arrived in a wee town in France or wherever and you want it to search for nearby accommodation or an ATM or ... , is to be fiddling with some awkward arrangement. Far better to have the one that's designed to do the job as easily as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have the 550 for over four years now, gone through three mount brackets. The contact pins are a week point on these and tend to suffer from alzheimer's disease and go green.

Oh yeah, another plus point for the bike specific GPS's is that they usually have some sort of lock, so if you're going in for petrol or something like that, you don't have to remove it.
    I have the 550 for over four years now, gone through three mount brackets. The contact pins are a week point on these and tend to suffer from alzheimer's disease and go green.

I'm on my original mounting bracket for 5 years now. Silicone spray or some wd40 FTW.
    But mine is fairly well protected by the bikes screen.

• Advertisement

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Oh yeah, another plus point for the bike specific GPS's is that they usually have some sort of lock, so if you're going in for petrol or something like that, you don't have to remove it.

I'm on my original mounting bracket for 5 years now. Silicone spray or some wd40 FTW.
    But mine is fairly well protected by the bikes screen.

Ditto

and Ditto!! LOL.

Advertisement