Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plus Sized Pregnancy

Options
  • 10-11-2011 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am finally pregnant - almost five weeks and I am going to see a new doctor shortly. Being a few stone overweight I have a few concerns and I was wondering if others had some advice or experience with this.

Firstly I am worried that my new doctor will just go on and on about my weight and that this will take away from what should be a joyful experience. I have always been overweight and I eat healthily - my cholesterol and BP have always been fine and although I know that there are increased risks with being pregnant and plus sized I am worried that the doctor will spend the next 8 months or so giving out to me about it.

Secondly, I have recently gone back to exercising after a few months away - is it ok to take up a new exercise regime while pregnant? I think that if I don't push myself too hard and only do things that I am used to (and give free weights etc a break) that it would be a good thing to exercise - but I am worried about this also.

Thirdly, I am worried that I will end up having to wear horrible big tracksuits or something to work as I won't be able to find maternity clothes in my size.

Finally, I am worried that I will miss out on seeing my baby on scans etc (I read that bigger women sometimes don't have scans that are as clear as normal weight women) - and that the whole delivery will be worse because of my weight.

Anyway - these are my current woes! Any comments or advice would be appreciated!

FBx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I'm also a bit heftier than I should be, but it was never really made a big deal of by my GP. The midwives did give me some tips etc, but in a very matter-of-fact way, not at all givey-outy.

You will be referred for a Glucose Tolerance Test and you are at higher risk of gestational diabetes, so be prepared for that. Even if you are clear for GD, it might be worth talking to your doctor about the benefits of following a low GI diet during pregnancy and watching your weight gain carefully. They generally recommend doing some gentle exercise during pregnancy (walking, swimming) but nothing high impact - your doctor will advise you. Personally, I found pregnancy yoga the business, it doesn't matter how big you are, the benefits are amazing and really good for preparing for labour.

For clothing, there are plenty of sites online that do nice plus-size stuff. If you fall in the 'commercially acceptable' plus size range (up to size 22) you'll get stuff no bother in Dorothy Perkins, Next, New Look, H&M etc. If you're bigger than that, Simply Be have a maternity range up to size 32. You definitely don't have to be stuck in tracksuits for the duration.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

Sorry, forgot to add about the scans - I never had an issue with the clarity of the scans, but I guess it depends on how big you are and where you carry weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Flugelblues

Thanks for the response. I guess I am just worrying myself for nothing - as if I didn't have enough to worry about already!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

I know where your coming from. They make us stop smoking and drinking and then when you think your mother-to-be of the year all of a sudden your weight is an issue! Strangely enough, even though I have always been heavy I never put on a lot of weight during the pregnancy. Not because of morning sickness but I think its down to not being constantly worried about my weight while I was expecting.
    I'm pretty sure as far as exercise is concerned you can keep up most things you were doing before the pregnancy but swimming and walking are your best bets. I'd definitely keep up some form of exercise or you will end up stiff as a post. Good Luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I was overweight on all 3 pregnancies and the only major problem i had last time was getting signed off for the midwife clinic. I had to get the consultant to 'allow' me to attend because of my BMI. No mention on first 2 - in fact i was not even weighed onb the other 2 pregnancies, I had to ask the gps to weigh me as it was 'out of fashion' at that time.
    I also found i did not put on much weight in 2 of my pregnancies, - i lost weight on the last one due to a vomiting bug in 2mth that laid me low for weeks on end. when pregnant with my daughter i put on loads tho ;-0
    Re clothes, I found using waist expanders on trousers and bellyband under mostly ordinary tops worked for me, pennys often have boobtops that are long and are so great for 'bridging the gap'. a good pair of maternity jeans or trousers is a must tho.
    and congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭lounakin

Flugelblues, if you feel good, you eat healthy and don't have major health issues because of your weight, you'll be fine! The problem is getting people to understand we are not all exactly the same so don't let them get to you. Exercise very carefully because now's not the time to push to hard on something you didn't do before and make sure you stay healthy and eat good stuff. When it comes to pregnancy I believe we are able to know ourselves where we stand! I'm not in your case, but I also have to combat preconceived ideas about sport during pregnancy. Luckily my GP is one of those people who believe that you only can judge if something feels right or not (and of course I'm not talking about major issues here!).

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I was heavy when I got pregnant and I was concerned about my weight causing complications, and like you OP I was worried that they'd give out to me in the hospital. My consultant was lovely though, he just said he didn't want me to gain more than a certain amount of weight and other than that he was happy. I asked would it be ok if I lost weight and he said yes, but not to go on any mad diets or exercise too strenuously. Basically I think if you're overweight chances are you already know you are, and there's nothing to be gained for berating you about it. I ended up losing a good bit of weight while I was pregnant because I ate super healthily, but my appetite was totally gone, I had to force myself to eat and if I ate anything before late afternoon it usually came back up again.

If you're not used to exercise then it'd be best not to jump into a vigorous regime, just start out slow and work it up but nothing too strenuous. I did a good bit of walking and found it great, also the yoga was good too. It'll stand to you during the labour.

Like lynski, I found waist expanders very helpful, and when the waist expander got too small in the last couple of months, I just used a hair bobbin. I wore my favourite pair of jeans the whole way through my pregnancy with a Bellaband around them to cover the gap where they didn't zip up all the way. Most of my non-maternity jeans and tshirts fitted during the pregnancy except right at the end. I bought one pair of maternity trousers for work and a few maternity shirts, and a dress. Simply be/Oxendales have nice maternity stuff, the only thing I thought is that it was a bit expensive. It washes well though and is decent quality. Some of the cheapo maternity bits I bought nearly fell apart.

I never had problems with clarity on the scans, granted they had to poke the transducer thing in a bit harder but the sonographer said they can often have to do that depending on what way the baby is lying. The best tip I got is making sure you're well hydrated going for the scan because that can improve the clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Flugelblues

Thanks guys! Your advice has really helped - I am feeling a lot better about it now. I have a healthy enough diet anyway - my last doctor was only ever concerned that I was eating right but I have moved and now need a new doctor so I think its the newness of the who experience that was getting to me!

I think if I eat properly and exercise moderately I should be ok. I was concerned that the doctor getting onto me about my weight would somehow ruin the whole experience for me and that I wouldn't be able to enjoy it - but if I keep worrying needlessly I will do that for myself...so I am going to try stop worrying unless I have a reason to worry!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

I was a "big girl" too with all my pregnancies and I never had negative comments from doctors/midwives.
    Maternity clothes come in larger sizes and come next spring when you are 7/8 months pregnant you will be able to wear maxi dresses, comfor at its best!! Best of luck with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭Betsie_xr3i

i feel much better reading this as i am over weight and and 7 weeks pregnant, kinda cant believe that im pregnant, always thought in my own mind that it would be difficult, was at my doc today and i was expecting a lecture all about my weight etc, but she was actually lovely, and didnt mention it once. actually since i have became pregnat i have lost half a stone....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Julie London

Im in the same boat ladies. Im 5 weeks pregnant! just found out. It was a happy surprise! I was on a diet and had managed to loose 2 stone , I had another 2 1/2 stone to loose before i wanted to try for a baby. And then we got our surprise news on Sat. Im worried the doctor will give me a hard time I have my appointment on Thursday. Im going to continue eating healthy throughput the pregnancy and hope i might loose a smal bit more.

Advertisement