Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving part time work to go on jobbridge

Options
  • 10-11-2011 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I'm currently in receipt of casual payments from social welfare as I'm employed part time but I have been offered an internship that would be far more beneficial to making a career so I'm wondering am I allowed to leave the job and take up the internship?
    Also I have 3 months worth of signing on in the last 6 so I should satisfy that requirement. I know it sounds silly leaving a job but it's just in a shop and I think the internship would be more beneficial to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If the internship is relevant to your aspiring career field then best to go with that rather than be working in a shop. You have a bit of work experience. So gaining work experience in your field be more beneficial than working in a shop though packing in a part time job and not getting paid would be the only iffy thing here. If you haven't any major financial constraints or major responsibilities you be ok like.

Though I would recommend only doing the one internship with job bridge and doing so for a few months as you need enough money to tie you over from the social welfare and money earned from working in the shop to keep you going for the few months of the internship so you can make ends meet. Just a matter of saving what you have so you have some leg to stand on and have financial security. Not so sure, think you are allowed to keep signing on with the social welfare, you get 50 euro added onto that so think you are ok you still get your social welfare regardless.

Good luck with your internship

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

thanks for the reply. My query, however, is would the social welfare cut off my payments because I would be leaving a job? And if they did that then I would not be eligible to jobbridge anyway.
    There is some kind of rule that if you quit a job you get nothing from the welfare for 9 weeks. No good for me if i leave my job, try to go on jobbridge and find out I've been taken off payments and I'm left pennyless. i know its a tricky situation.

Advertisement