Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car seat/Buggy/Travel System CRIKEY!!!!!!!!!!!

Options
  • 10-11-2011 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

God, my heads fried!!!

I have seen a Britax Car seat that I like, looks sturdy, and bolts to the car (kinda), does the child from birth to 4 year, and doesnt cost the earth!! SO I think im going to buy it..

But.. for bringing the baby home, do they have to be in a new born carrier thing leaving the ward, or can you carry them to the car seat thats in the car and put them in it??

I dont want to buy a travel system as they seem so expensive, and I have my eye on a normal buggy that also works from birth to 4yrs-ish.

To be honest, all this is giving me more heartburn and stress than the baby inside me :confused:

If i need to have the baby secured before leaving this ward, could I use this??

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3764879/Trail/searchtext%3EBABY+CAR+SEAT.htm

It wont break the bank, and even combining the cost of this and a buggy it works out cheaper than a travel system?

Please someone help meeeeeeeeee :rolleyes:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Yep, that would be perfect for using with a newborn... tbh I think they look really uncomfortable in the rearward facing big car seats in the early days and this might get a bit more use than you might think!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

Hi there
    I have 2 britax seats I presume similar to what you are planning on buying for my 7 month old twins.
    We were not allowed to carry the babies down out of the ward to put them into our car seats which were in the car. We got a lend of 2 baby carriers(from a sis and friend so we knew their history) for the journey home from the hospital and have used our own seats ever since.
    Never thought they looked uncomfortable in them...actually thought they looked very cosy!
    I didnt want to get a travel system as I didnt like the idea of using the car seat as part of the buggy and would not have fit 2 carrycots into my car.
    The only issue I have is that now as I am back in work and have the boys going to a childminder, its a bit of a pain transferring the seats between cars. I drop the boys off inthe morning and have to leave the car seats in the childminders as my husband collects them.
    Never found it a hassle to move the babies from the car to the buggy or back into the house.
    Hope this is of some help and good luck with the rest of your pregnancy!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

thanks for the replies ladies.

this is the one i was looking at, and it comes with a newborn insert.

http://www.littlewoodsireland.ie/britax-first-class-plus-group-01-car-seat---jet/833983174.prd?browseToken=%2fb%2f2673%2fs%2fbestsellers%2c0&trail=2249-2670-2673

it has also gotten excellent review, and my dad also recommended it as the one they got for me was Brittax that you litterally HAD to bolt to the car haha Back when Dinosaurs roamed the earth :D

but thanks for the advice ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

That's the exact seat we got for our second daughter. We used a very similar britax one that went from 9mos - 4 yrs for our first daughter.

Honestly, in my experience, if you leave the hospital at the same time of the day as everyone else, the staff are so busy they didn't have any time to check about seats/carriers. On neither of my girls did any member of staff ask or check our arrangements. And since we used the same seat you have linked, all we did was carry our girl out in our arms. Maybe it's different in different hospitals, but it wasn't an issue for us in Sligo anyway.

Worst case scenario you can bring the seat in to prove you have one. It's a bit awkward to remove & put back in the car, but it gets easier once you figure it out & if it saves the expense of buying another carrier for the one time going out of hosp then it's worth it IMO.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is worth doing research on car seats and checking their safety rating and how they faired during testing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Moonbeam, were you making that statement purely as general advice or do you know something specifically that you're hinting toward about the seat that the OP's considering (and that we use!)?

Advertisement