Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Travel permit Beahan & Borstal Boy

Options
  • 10-11-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭

Just started on Mr. Beahans borstal boy (Finding it very difficult to put it down)

He mentions getting a travel permit to get to Liverpool, I always thought that the UK and Ireland was a free travel zone, so anybody know what he is reffering to.

My father never mentions such a thing but all his memories are of going back and forth to Dublin are in the forties

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Didn't he arrive in England during WW2 when they were keeping tabs on people arriving into the UK, no matter where they came from?

I know that UK residents all had National Identity Cards, because I've got one belonging to a family member.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

No this was 1937 , my father still has his ID papers and was looking forward to Tony Bliar bringing in the ID card.

Young Man what do you meant that is not valid ID card

And he calls me Bolshy

No this was 1937 , my father still has his ID papers and was looking forward to Tony Bliar bringing in the ID card.

Young Man what do you meant that is not valid ID card

And he calls me Bolshy

Is he going to change the photo?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Is he going to change the photo?

there is no photo on it

there is no photo on it

The one that I've got is one of these with a photo inside.

113835709619967848632_1.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/92/a8878792.shtml

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My Father still has his UK Identity Card , while they ceased in Britain not long after the War ended the Stormont Government in Northern Ireland ( not surprisingly ) kept them on much longer.

Rght his does not have a picture and looks somethink like this

He said both his father and mother had a travel permit (Fathers was Irish Mothers was English) and this was stamped when they crossed the Irish sea.

He was under the impression that was just for the war.

So anyone got any ideas

Rght his does not have a picture and looks somethink like this

He said both his father and mother had a travel permit (Fathers was Irish Mothers was English) and this was stamped when they crossed the Irish sea.

He was under the impression that was just for the war.

So anyone got any ideas

Some mention of travel permits on here, re war-workers etc:

http://www.historyireland.com/volumes/volume6/issue1/features/?id=181

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Just started on Mr. Beahans borstal boy (Finding it very difficult to put it down)

He mentions getting a travel permit to get to Liverpool, I always thought that the UK and Ireland was a free travel zone, so anybody know what he is reffering to.

My father never mentions such a thing but all his memories are of going back and forth to Dublin are in the forties

Residents of the Irish Free State needed special documentation from the FS government to leave the island. Such documentation was not required to visit NI, so people could have travelled on to GB using this route.

I don't think these measures were recognised by the UK govt.

Richard wrote: »
    Residents of the Irish Free State needed special documentation from the FS government to leave the island. Such documentation was not required to visit NI, so people could have travelled on to GB using this route.

I don't think these measures were recognised by the UK govt.

The method was already set up in Dublin, as per the link in my previous post:

Here's a bit of it:
    War workers

Although denied by the government, the arrangements by which Irish labour went to work in Britain were carefully regulated by agreements between the two states. Churchill was suspicious of the large influx of Irish labour, but Bevin and other ministers recognised that Irish labour provided an important reservoir for war work. A British Liaison Office was set up in Dublin to operate the arrangements agreed between the two countries. Irish officials were critical of the British for offering better pay and conditions than in Ireland, considering that this would ‘spoil’ Irish workers and have consequences for the Irish state when they returned after the war. For the most part, however, Irish officials considered the arrangements a godsend. In 1940, the Department of Industry and Commerce drew attention to rising unemployment and reported that agitation was already underway by left-wing elements at labour exchanges. According to the Department, an agreement with Britain to allow workers to travel to Britain would benefit the state and the individuals involved:

• Advertisement
Advertisement