Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppy food for Springer

Options
  • 10-11-2011 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

Hi Guys we have a four month old Springer Spaniel and seems to be very skinny, can see his rib-cage. We are currently feeding him Pedigree Chum puppy food but he seems to be quite runny most of the time when he poos.

Just looking for some recommendations on puppy food.

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Pedigree is absolute rubbish so i would take him off it asap!! Anything bought in the supermarket is generally awful food and really bad quality.

I suggest you go to your local Pet Shop and pick up a better quality food, there are plenty of them.

Anything from Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved, Eukanuba, Royal Canin etc are quite good.

Another option is to order online. There is a food called Whites that a lot of people on here are using and say its very good and its not too expensive either.
    But try and get him off Pedigree as its awful food with terrible ingredients.

A better quality food might seem more expensive, but you usually have to feed less of it as there are better ingredients in it so they dont need as much so it nearly works out cheaper.

Stay away from the likes of Pedigree, Bakers, Purina and so on, as they arent good foods at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

Thanks, was just actually reading some other peoples posts about good food and feeding less as cost was something I was a little worried about as we also have a Samoyed and a Japanese Spitz, at the moment the puppy is eating seperate food anyway but just thinking further down the line.

I will be getting him something today as we totally ran out of Pedigree last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭moving_home

you shouldn't change over a dogs' food suddenly as you will give him an upset tummy. maybe buy a small bag and change gradually. start by giving him mostly pedigree and adding in a little of the new food and gradually increase the amount of new food and decrease pedigree. I would usually do this over a week and a half.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

can not praise whites dog food enough. its good quality so a bag last a lot longer than the cheaper stuff. i can feed all my dogs on it, that is a 1st for me. not to expensive. coats are great, tummies are great. and the customer service is brilliant. oh and there is free delivery on 15 kg bags and if u order before 12 am it will be with you the next day. also doing salmon oil now as well
    they are also doing cat food now, with my next order im going to get some samples and try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Thats the thing with springers, esp pups. Even though they are getting fed on a regular basis you look at their ribs and think they are not getting anything. My lad is just under the 2yr old mark and despite having a good diet he is only starting to fill out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

I also worried about my springer so skinny. but since he has gotten older he has filled out. I think Royal canin is the best well was for mine anyway.

Best of luck with your new springer they are just brillant dogs. Ours is such a fab dog fun of energy (we dont think he sleep :rolleyes:) full of personality and so much fun. Enjoy him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭eeyore2502

We have put him on Science Hills in the end, still looking pretty skinny and seems to want to eat everything in sight.

Advertisement