Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home needed for none laying chickens

Options
  • 10-11-2011 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

A home is urgently needed for 10 non laying chickens.
    Anyone got some land that they could safely (fox free) roam????
    Available in Westmeath.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

Laying season is over!

I may be able to take them

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Im not sure if this is just a "season" thing. Dont chickens lay all year round? I have no idea, anyway, they may be traumatized, but I cant imagine why up to 10 chickens just wont lay.
    Would be great if you could take. Where abouts are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

DAWNRISER wrote: »
    Im not sure if this is just a "season" thing. Dont chickens lay all year round? I have no idea, anyway, they may be traumatized, but I cant imagine why up to 10 chickens just wont lay.
    Would be great if you could take. Where abouts are you?
    no,egg numbers are usualy greatly reduced or not laid at all,the colder winter weather and darker days affects laying,they also stop laying when they get to a certain age plus there can be certain conditions and problems they be prone to,like prolapses which means they have to be kept as non layers which is difficult.

we have both urban based [at our home,in the garden] and farm based ex battery chickens and most of our layers at the farm have stopped completely which is the norm for them,some breeds are better than others for laying.

pity are not over here as we take in chucks regardless of laying or not though we do get the odd fox about and have had some nasty incidents with them and our chucks and ducks regardless of the fact we have top security.

to be honest, everywhere has its predators,even in predator heavy places there are ways to avoid incidents with them such as only allowing free ranging when people are in and putting them in a large secure run and coop at all other times & locking them in coop at night [with decent wired roof over the top of the run],many americans who tend to live with many predators from all angles use electric fencing around the chickens area.

hope this is allowed as have checked the rules over and over-this isnt a rescue site but a community of chicken owners/fans from all over the world-woud recommend seeing if there are any takers on the forum backyardchickens.com as it is probably the largest community will find for chickens,and/or look for one specific for ireland.

best of luck with rehoming them-its nice to hear of someone wanting to rehome chucks instead of just turning them into meat when they stop laying.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭DAWNRISER

Many thanks for reply, my efforts seems to have enticed the owner to give them time, and low and behold they have started to lay !!!!!
    So all good :0)

Advertisement