Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of a turkey

Options
  • 10-11-2011 10:25am

I've committed to cooking christmas dinner for 16 people :eek:

So how much is this bird gonna cost me? I was in the butchers last night and I didn't ask for fear of hitting the floor!

I'm getting it stuffed and boned and rolled so it will fit it the oven! and the butcher recommended about 12lb. How much do ya reckon I'll have to fork out??

I just need prewarning so when I ring to order it I don't start crying down the phone :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

The way it is being prepared and assuming it will be fresh from the farm I would estimate about 100 euros.

The way it is being prepared and assuming it will be fresh from the farm I would estimate about 100 euros.

If I thought that I would pay 100 or under I wouldn't feel quite so bad! Seeing as my mam is buying the ham :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Would ya not buy 2 turkey crowns in Aldi for 9.99 a piece? All meat and no waste, I've got them in the past and they rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

The average reccommendation per person is 1/2 lb meat and as you are having ham too you could get away with less. There is no waste the way you are getting it either. Price around a few butchers you would be amazed at the difference. I usually get the turkey crown boned and rolled but not stuffed from our local butchers approx 4e a lb. Get prices for with and with out stuffing to see if it makes much difference. Sounds like ye are going to have a lively christmas day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Why not ask for a contribution from some of the 16 hungry attendees?

• Advertisement

vandriver wrote: »
    Why not ask for a contribution from some of the 16 hungry attendees?

I wouldn't invite people for dinner and then ask them to pay for it themselves :eek: My mam had already ordered her ham so she is getting that but that's it and even at that I wasn't happy, but I've argued it and she's not budging! To be fair, my mother and mother in law have been doing Christmas Dinner for many many years and wouldn't ever let us contribute so I think it's time to return the favour!

@vicwatson - I would consider it if they're good meat, I don't have an aldi near me but I might look into it thanks.

@daisym - where is your butcher that charge €4 per lb? that sounds good! they don't charge extra to stuff it, you bring your own stuffing in (well the one I spoke to yesterday don't)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

what part of the country are you, i work in a butchers and we usually charge between 3.50 to 3.70 a lb, as for paying a 100 euro thats madness the most a 12lb turkey should cost is 50 unless its organic.. as a rough guide they say 1/2 lb per person, with a boned and rolled turkey there is no waste so you should have enough with the ham aswell

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Howjoe1

did u not think of asking the butcher:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

@vicwatson - I would consider it if they're good meat, I don't have an aldi near me but I might look into it thanks.

Well if you can get to Aldi I highly recommend them, very little waste, and the meat is very good, two hours in the oven - cover for first 1.5 hours with foil, bobs your uncle !

jap gt wrote: »
    what part of the country are you, i work in a butchers and we usually charge between 3.50 to 3.70 a lb, as for paying a 100 euro thats madness the most a 12lb turkey should cost is 50 unless its organic.. as a rough guide they say 1/2 lb per person, with a boned and rolled turkey there is no waste so you should have enough with the ham aswell

I'm in Dublin. That sounds ideal, I'll have a shop around :)
    Howjoe1 wrote: »
    did u not think of asking the butcher:confused:

No, I didn't, obviously or I wouldn't have a thread on the subject!

Might try and get to aldi on Saturday and see if I can pick up a crown for Sunday's dinner - actually I think there's a new shop open in sandyford which is close enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i forgot to mention, if you buy a 12lb turkey you will lose 3lb or so through boning it(carcass weight) so ask for a 15lb or 16lb turkey instead

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Radharc na Sleibhte

Mother of god, is it a famous turkey?
    I'd be thinking 60 max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭restingpilgrim

If you want a twelve pound rolled and stuffed turkey you need to start with a much bigger bird, prices will be alot higher this year than in previous years due to feed costs and then you will need to pay for the boning and rolling surely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Daisy M

@daisym - where is your butcher that charge €4 per lb? that sounds good! they don't charge extra to stuff it, you bring your own stuffing in (well the one I spoke to yesterday don't)
    I am in Co Mayo so no good to you, checked with someone else and it was actually 3.50e a lb!

Mother of god, is it a famous turkey?

I'm nearly after choking with laughter :pac:

Advertisement