Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jnr Cert Honours student has brain freeze ! help

Options
  • 09-11-2011 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm a bit stuck on a question for my maths HomeWork. It is a form of simultaneous equation.
    The question is as follows:

The sum of four times one number and three times the second number is 61.
    If twice the first number less the second number is 13, find the numbers.

The answers in the back of my book are 7 and 10 however I keep getting the incorrect answer. :confused:

Any help would be much appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭ray giraffe

Spook_ie wrote: »
    The sum of four times one number and three times the second number is 61.
    If twice the first number less the second number is 13, find the numbers.

The answers in the back of my book are 7 and 10

4x+3y=61
    2x-y=13

Maybe you could multiply the second equation by 3, so you have 3y in the first and -3y in the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thanks a million for the quick reply! I understand completely now! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Another way I like would involve rearranging the second equation to read y=2x-13. Then, in the first equation, replace y with (2x-13) and solve for x.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Thanks BNT - I appreciate all the help

Advertisement