Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP address trying to add to my LAN

Options
  • 09-11-2011 6:04pm

Hi,

I keep getting the same IP trying to add itself to my LAN. This has been going on for over a month.
    VYiP1.jpg

I have the IP range blocked in my firewall so not sure why it still able to do this. Is it a case of someone having detected my fixed IP address and trying to hack into my machine?

Oh, and everytime it does this my PC clock keeps changing to East coast US time, ie 8 hours in the past.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Looks like its just from one of your own network adapters. Should be ok to allow it. Is it connected to a router or modem or anything? Otr do you have it connected directly to another pc/host?

Also some more info for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network
    If a host on an IEEE 802 (ethernet) network cannot obtain a network address via DHCP, an address from 169.254.1.0 to 169.254.254.255 may be assigned pseudorandomly. The standard prescribes that address collisions must be handled gracefully.

Looks like its just from one of your own network adapters. Should be ok to allow it. Is it connected to a router or modem or anything? Otr do you have it connected directly to another pc/host?

Also some more info for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

Hi,
    Thanks for your input.
    Its connected directly into the router.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

It's an automatic private address. It means your PC has not been assigned an IP address by your router.

It can happen if the LAN cable is loose or if you are connecting by wireless the wireless is not responding or is taking too long to connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

it seems its not automatically getting an IP via DHCP from the router. Its probably Windows or what ever OS your using setting that IP address to your network adapter.

You could see if your set to automatically obtain your IP from the router:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-TCP-IP-settings

(assuming you have Windows 7)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

FSL wrote: »
    It's an automatic private address. It means your PC has not been assigned an IP address by your router.

It can happen if the LAN cable is loose or if you are connecting by wireless the wireless is not responding or is taking too long to connect.

^ This, that ip address is the windows default ip address 169.254 because all computers need an ip address when it comes to networking if one is not assigned windows automatically assigns that one

• Advertisement

Brill,
    So I was being paranoid :)
    Thanks for the info.

Advertisement