Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schumacher to stay on for 2013?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Brilliant stuff. As I get older I appreciate seeing the more "mature" driver in F1. Michael is very arrogant but hes a a fantastic driver. One of the highlighs of the season was seeing him Holding back the Mcclaren of Hamilton. Fantastic Stuff. Hes been brilliant this season and its good to see him annoying Martin Brundle every week. Now c'mon Rubens and get yourself signed !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Great news.
    Gives him a chance to build.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Brilliant news.
    Have to be honest, half way through his first season he was terrible but this season he has been great, lightening fast off the grid, overtaking etc.
    Like the old days.
    Delighted he is staying for another season.
    If Mercedes develop a good car who knows, surely a few podiums at least...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I dunno what I think at the moment. Until there's a massive overhaul of the team I don't see why he came back. Right since they were BAR they haven't been able to develop a car and that's what I thought Brawn wanted him back for. So far they've still not made progress on that front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

amacachi wrote: »
    Right since they were BAR they haven't been able to develop a car and that's what I thought Brawn wanted him back for.

Under the Honda name they did develop a car that won the drivers and constructors title courtesy of Ross Brawn and a Mercedes engine shoehorned into the car in place of the Honda unit.

Sadly for Honda, they quit and got no credit for it but it was clear to see that the team was worth investing in for Mercedes. Since then they have made consistent progress and I expect that will continue. I may be wrong but they are on an upward curve since the takeover. As a team, Brawn didn't have the money to even develop the car they inherited during their championship winning season let alone sustain that for the following year so all things considered, I think they have done a very good job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Through the season I meant. The year they were Brawn they made little progress over the season. As Honda and BAR they generally went backwards as teach season progressed despite apparently having the biggest F1 budget in many seasons. Last year they started fairly well but the gap just kept getting bigger. This year they've had a so-so year with seemingly no car development. Their results are consistent enough but it's not through pace. While they had a much smaller budget as Brawn compared to when they were Honda and compared to now it was still unreal how much pace they lost from the start to the end of the season. It seems getting rid of half their staff that time didn't address the root of the problem. :pac:

We'll have to agree to disagree. At the start of last season they looked like possibly pushing the top 3 but before long were definitively the 4th team. Again this season they've been in no-man's land and have made little if any improvement in terms of their pace relative to the other teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,823 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

amacachi wrote: »
    As I said, hopefully they've been focussing hard on next years car for the last 4 or 5 months because they've gotten nowhere with this year's car.

I think they need to start fighting for podiums next year, and hopefully they can. It would be great to see Schumi up there. Plus there will be pressure from the Mercedes top brass to up their game imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

No excuse for mercedes now running into years 3 to 4 with the team. They seem to have got alot of pwoplw in there who should be able to do a job for them and Im sure resources/staff are being thrown at it too regardless of what the spending caps say.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Rosberg extends Mercedes contract,
    I wonder was there confusion in the above report as to who actually did extend their contract

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/271161/haug-i-appreciate-rosberg-s-dedication/
    Haug is also sure that Rosberg will continue to benefit from seven-time World Champion Michael Schumacher, who has one year remaining on his current contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭countygorey

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    I think they need to start fighting for podiums next year, and hopefully they can. It would be great to see Schumi up there. Plus there will be pressure from the Mercedes top brass to up their game imo.
    i agree

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

great to see schumi sign until 2013 , his starts have been excellent this year , the last race in particular where he made up a lot of places. Good to see nico also there until 2013. I think both should get a few podiums next year if mercedes keeps making progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

great to see schumi sign until 2013 ,

Where did you see this?
    Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Advertisement