Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuition fees protests in london nov 2011

Options
  • 09-11-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

"Trafalgar Square tent protest broken up" - video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15657924

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/11/09/student-tuition-fees-protest-thousands-converge-on-the-capital-115875-23549794/

Police swamped central London today to keep a lid on any violence during the latest student fees march.

Protesters accused Scotland Yard of "ludicrous" tactics as officers appeared to outnumber protesters.

But the strategy appeared to work.

An estimated quarter of the 10,000 expected demonstrators initially turned up after Scotland Yard announced 4,000 officers had been made available.

Minor skirmishes broke out as officers made several arrests moving a group who set up camps in Trafalgar Square by pitching pop-up tents.

There were also violent exchanges as anarchists threw items at police lines.

But many demonstrators were thought to have stayed away after chiefs warned that rubber bullets were available after major disturbances in November and December last year.

Demonstrator Beth Atkinson, 27, from London, said: "It is ludicrous. It is antagonistic, it is like they are egging on a fight, which is frankly embarrassing."

Protesters carried placards which read "Scrap Tuition Fees" and "Free Education".

There were chants of "No ifs, no buts, no education cuts" and "David Cameron f*** off back to Eton" while demonstrators slowly made their way through the streets.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭yutta

RobitTV wrote: »
    "Trafalgar Square tent protest broken up" - video

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15657924

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2011/11/09/student-tuition-fees-protest-thousands-converge-on-the-capital-115875-23549794/

Police swamped central London today to keep a lid on any violence during the latest student fees march.

Protesters accused Scotland Yard of "ludicrous" tactics as officers appeared to outnumber protesters.

But the strategy appeared to work.

An estimated quarter of the 10,000 expected demonstrators initially turned up after Scotland Yard announced 4,000 officers had been made available.

Minor skirmishes broke out as officers made several arrests moving a group who set up camps in Trafalgar Square by pitching pop-up tents.

There were also violent exchanges as anarchists threw items at police lines.

But many demonstrators were thought to have stayed away after chiefs warned that rubber bullets were available after major disturbances in November and December last year.

Demonstrator Beth Atkinson, 27, from London, said: "It is ludicrous. It is antagonistic, it is like they are egging on a fight, which is frankly embarrassing."

Protesters carried placards which read "Scrap Tuition Fees" and "Free Education".

There were chants of "No ifs, no buts, no education cuts" and "David Cameron f*** off back to Eton" while demonstrators slowly made their way through the streets.

You'd think Miss Atkinson would hurry up and get a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

"Dutch Gold, Dutch Gold!"

"What do we want?"

"Dutch Gold!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kxSxt9yyssU scuffle break's out

Sky news live - http://news.sky.com/home

Protesters getting angry

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

"What do we want?"

"Dutch Gold!"

At least it's catchier than 'no ifs, no buts. No <insert protest subject here>'

Domo230 wrote: »
    In before someone stereotypes students

Nope too late

I'm a student and I buy Dutch Gold. It's not a total stereotype. I mean you might be able to afford good quality beer but we can't, we have to make do with the cheap stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭RussellTuring

Thousands of people were afraid to exercise their right to protest because of the chance they would be shot with rubber bullets. Is this supposed to be a good thing?

"What do we want?"

"Dutch Gold!"

Perhaps something relevant to the thread topic would be more appropriate, rather than a red herring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

Thousands of people were afraid to exercise their right to protest because of the chance they would be shot with rubber bullets. Is this supposed to be a good thing?

Yes, for the hundreds of thousands of Londoners trying to have a normal day, for the hundreds of business owners who had their businesses damaged in the last student demonstartion, for the thousands of protesters who are peaceful and for the thousands of emergency workers who had to deal with the last riots in London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

It's excellent if they've decided they're not just reserved for Catholics in NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

• Advertisement

Yes, for the hundreds of thousands of Londoners trying to have a normal day, for the hundreds of business owners who had their businesses damaged in the last student demonstartion, for the thousands of protesters who are peaceful and for the thousands of emergency workers who had to deal with the last riots in London.

Protesting does not necessarily lead to rioting. Do you think it's right to make it less desirable for people to protest for the sake of short-term convenience and to avoid the financial costs?
    amacachi wrote: »
    It's excellent if they've decided they're not just reserved for Catholics in NI.

Would fewer rubber bullets being used altogether not be a better idea than more?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

yutta wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Would fewer rubber bullets being used altogether not be a better idea than more?

Equality would be nice. I just find it funny how when a few "Nationalist youths" in the North lob a few stones the cops have carte blanche, when it's people on the mainland any suggestion of using them is treated with horror.

Equality would be nice. I just find it funny how when a few "Nationalist youths" in the North lob a few stones the cops have carte blanche, when it's people on the mainland any suggestion of using them is treated with horror.

Certainly. But many of us are against such police tactics whether they take place in Belfast or in London.

Certainly. But many of us are against such police tactics whether they take place in Belfast or in London.

It's good to have the option there. If there had been scenes like last time I don't see how anyone could be against the proper use of plastic bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭ThelotusKid

It's good to have the option there. If there had been scenes like last time I don't see how anyone could be against the proper use of plastic bullets.

Police start using plastic bullets then this thing is going to escalate very quickly.

I'm not arguing for people to be allowed cause mindless destruction; but for people to be allowed protest what they see as injustice without the threat of violence. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.

Police start using plastic bullets then this thing is going to escalate very quickly.
    Aye, them not using them during the riots and the last students protest really kept a lid on things.
    I'm not arguing for people to be allowed cause mindless destruction; but for people to be allowed protest what they see as injustice without the threat of violence. I don't think I'm being too unreasonable.
    There was no threat, they were available. They weren't available/allowed use them during the riots, they now have the option. Having a proportionate response to likely scenarios ready should be top of the police's list of priorities. It's not as if violence would've been too remote a possibility.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

We wouldn't have tuition fees in England had Scottish MPs (most of them belonging to the Labour Party) in the British parliament not voted FOR the introduction of them into England, despite the fact that most English MPs voted AGAINST the introduction of them into England (those Scottish votes were enough for them to be introduced); despite the fact that Scottish MSPs in the Scottish Parliament voted AGAINST the introduction of them in Scotland; and despite the fact that English MPs had no say in the matter over whether or not to introduce tuition fees in Scotland because that vote took place in the Scottish parliament in Edinburgh.

As you can see, this is all grotesquely unfair to the English and very undemocratic and highlights why England either needs to have its own Parliament with only English MPs sitting in it or Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish MPs need to be banned from voting on English-only matters at the British parliament in Westminster.

I find it reprehensible that Scottish (and Welsh and Northern Irish) MPs were allowed to vote on the matter of whether or not to introduce tuition fees in England when English MPs were not able to vote on the matter of whether or not to introduce tuition fees into Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Would love if Charles and Camel took a drive through the area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

yutta wrote: »

how do you know she doesnt have a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

If I wanted to read the news, I would.

Yet another zzzzzzzzzz news thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

how do you know she doesnt have a job?

He's stereotyping protesters. He more than likely is always whinging about the government, yet can't be bothered to get off his arse to do something about it, so he's choosing to deride people less lazy than he.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Would love if Charles and Camel took a drive through the area.

One hump or two?

Domo230 wrote: »
    It perpetuates the stereotype that all students care about is drinking and don't have real issues that need addressing.

Do. They. Not.?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Batsy wrote: »
    We wouldn't have tuition fees in England had Scottish MPs (most of them belonging to the Labour Party) in the British parliament not voted FOR the introduction of them into England, despite the fact that most English MPs voted AGAINST the introduction of them into England ...

Good point - I still don't understand how the Scottish universities get away with charging full fees to English people. It's blatant discrimmination and I don't see how it could stand up taken to a European court.

Advertisement