Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease Dispute

Options
  • 09-11-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi, I'm new to boards.ie so not sure posting this in the right place but just have a couple of questions regarding my lease agreement with my landlord.

In May I signed a lease with 3 other people for a house for 6 months. The lease is up on the 17th of this month (November) however we have been told by our letting agency that we must give a months notice before we move out and if we give our notice before the 17th, the lease termination date, that we risk losing out deposit because we may be breaking our lease.

It sounds odd to me but my housemates assure me this is standard practice. I am very keen to move out of this house as soon as possibly and learning of this has disrupted my plans to do so. It is not a happy living environment and cannot bare to live there any longer then necessary.

Any words of advice or has anyone any past experience with this kind of thing?
    All I really want to know is, is the agency right in what they tell us and if so is there any way to get around it??

Thanks, sorry if the post is a bit **** explained, as I said it's my first time! :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭source

Have a look here and here. The second will definitely have the info you need somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

gnm_ wrote: »
    In May I signed a lease with 3 other people for a house for 6 months. The lease is up on the 17th of this month (November) however we have been told by our letting agency that we must give a months notice before we move out and if we give our notice before the 17th, the lease termination date, that we risk losing out deposit because we may be breaking our lease.
    This sounds like a garbled message along the likes of "Send three and four pence we are going to a dance" (Send reinforcements we are going to advance.)

What does the lease say about giving notice?

If the lease ends on the 17 November, ideally you would have given notice on 17 October or earlier as to your intention to stay or leave after 17 November.

I wonder if your housemate is planning on doing a runner.

Advertisement