Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Interview Question

Options
  • 09-11-2011 4:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

Hi,

A friend of mine went for an interview <snip> and was asked "if your boss asked you to do something illegal for them would you do it?".

He admitted that he was shocked with such a question and had certainly not prepared a response for this question. He said he didn't no whether he should tell them the truth or give them the answer that he thought the interviewer was after.

I just wonder is this is a regular interview question that people get asked or is it even an appropriate question to ask in an interview? And how best to answer such as question?

PS - I know his answer (but don't wish to influence any responses) and he got the job but I think it was more to do with his qualifications than his response to this question!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭07438991

07438991 wrote: »
    Hi,

A friend of mine went for an interview <snip> and was asked "if your boss asked you to do something illegal for them would you do it?".

He admitted that he was shocked with such a question and had certainly not prepared a response for this question. He said he didn't no whether he should tell them the truth or give them the answer that he thought the interviewer was after.

I just wonder is this is a regular interview question that people get asked or is it even an appropriate question to ask in an interview? And how best to answer such as question?

PS - I know his answer (but don't wish to influence any responses) and he got the job but I think it was more to do with his qualifications than his response to this question!!!

Somebody please...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Somebody please...?

He should say no he would not. They may be checking to see if he is trustworthy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,239 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

company name removed; not sure it's appropriate to mention them in this context

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

This is an old style question...
    If a person is likely to break the law when asked, then they may cheat the company without being asked...

No, Never, Never is the only reasonable answer I suppose...

Gmol wrote: »
    He should say no he would not. They may be checking to see if he is trustworthy

Do you think it's an acceptable question for an interview?

And I can tell you that he didn't say no and got the job!!!

Also, did you get the company before it was removed...? hahaha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Gmol

Do you think it's an acceptable question for an interview?

And I can tell you that he didn't say no and got the job!!!

Also, did you get the company before it was removed...? hahaha

I do and know the owner:cool:

Great.. Will I give you my Friend's name so the company can sake him...? :D

Advertisement