Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First "Santa" Christmas

Options
  • 09-11-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

First post here.

Our eldest has recently turned 3 and this is her first "Santa" Christmas. I love Christmas anyway but just wondering if any of the experts here could give recommendations on how to make this a great Christmas.

Thanks!
    Loire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭tittle mouse

Hi Loire

Its great when kids are finally old enough to understand who santa is!!! i think the most important issue is to sort out the santa experience somewhere where you can get loads of pictures and where'll the whole family will get a good experience.

The next thing is the santa letter, theres lots of companies that you can get to send a letter from sant to your child in the post. It is very exciting for a child to get a letter with their name on it...especially from santa:)

every year i bring my son to pick out their own christmas decoration..something they pick out will have alot of sentimental value in a few years time.(i also date it so ill remember when it was gotten)

kids love unwrapping pressies so i alwys wrap all the pressies and always include a few things in their christmas stockings kids love the little things in the stockings.

I also let my son pick out what he leaves out for sant christmas eve and of course the carrots for the reindeer!!:rolleyes:

if possible bring your child to the turning on of christmas lights its a lovely christmassy experience for the whole family.

Thats all i can think of for now if i think of anything else ill post again:)

P.S sorry if some of this stuff is obvious!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Hi Loire

Its great when kids are finally old enough to understand who santa is!!! i think the most important issue is to sort out the santa experience somewhere where you can get loads of pictures and where'll the whole family will get a good experience.

The next thing is the santa letter, theres lots of companies that you can get to send a letter from sant to your child in the post. It is very exciting for a child to get a letter with their name on it...especially from santa:)

every year i bring my son to pick out their own christmas decoration..something they pick out will have alot of sentimental value in a few years time.(i also date it so ill remember when it was gotten)

kids love unwrapping pressies so i alwys wrap all the pressies and always include a few things in their christmas stockings kids love the little things in the stockings.

I also let my son pick out what he leaves out for sant christmas eve and of course the carrots for the reindeer!!:rolleyes:

if possible bring your child to the turning on of christmas lights its a lovely christmassy experience for the whole family.

Thats all i can think of for now if i think of anything else ill post again:)

P.S sorry if some of this stuff is obvious!!!

Some great ones there, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

Don't forget the Late Late Toy show! The one night of the year we could stay up late as children.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

A friend of mine has a smaller tree on a timer at the top of the stairs that "comes on" after santa has left the toys so the kids know it is safe to get up and go down stairs, another friend scatters the gold chocolate coins along the steps of the stairs that santa leaves after dropping the toys so the kids have something to munch on when opening their pressies

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Two ways to blow your little ones socks off:

http://portablenorthpole.tv/home (will be up and running shortly)

and

"proof" that Santa has been -

Get a big shoe and sprinkle flour around it by the christmas tree or fireplace to show Santa's foot prints and some blades of grass from Rudolf's hooves. Kids lap that stuff up! :D

• Advertisement

Fantastic stuff. I'm getting excited now myself. I remember as a kid we used to leave out some snacks for Santa and a bottle of beer. It was the only time I'd see a beer in the house and it was obviously for my Dad who must have enjoyed it when we were gone to bed!

For anyone else who has their first Santa Christmas this year I was speaking to a friend of mine over the weekend with 2 older kids. He said to make sure that all toys are assembled the night before..otherwise you could have an unhappy bunny standing over you on Christmas morning as you put the pieces together..

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭saralou2011

Just post his letter to santa in the post box, the post office will send letter from santa to little boy. (just remember to put your address on the letter) and even better.... you don't have to pay for it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

Just talking about Christmas past with my youngest (now 15) and the one thing she remembers is the fact that Santa always left a brief note on christmas morning, thanking them for the milk and carrots and sorry for the mess Rudolf left as he munched the carrots! The note was also handy if Santa hadn't left a particular present with instructions for Mammy and Daddy to keep an eye out in the New year for it!
    She loved those notes she tells me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Realtine wrote: »
    Just talking about Christmas past with my youngest (now 15) and the one thing she remembers is the fact that Santa always left a brief note on christmas morning, thanking them for the milk and carrots and sorry for the mess Rudolf left as he munched the carrots! The note was also handy if Santa hadn't left a particular present with instructions for Mammy and Daddy to keep an eye out in the New year for it!
    She loved those notes she tells me.

Thats a great idea, love the instructions part cos my wee man has sent a letter to santa with a big list - but all small things, so I am dreading going looking for them, thanks for the tip.

Last year we did the the flour in front of the fire with 'Santa's' footprints in it, he loved it.

Today though we had slightly worrying conversation about the fact that some of friends dont think santa is real??? He is in senior infants, seriously like I was panicking big time but I managed to fob it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Hey,

No kids of my own yet but growing up:
    • we were never allowed downstairs without mum and dad. I always think its sad when kids go down on their own and the parents never get to see their kids faces on xmas morning!
    • there were 3 of us and we had to line up on the stairs in order of age, youngest was let in the sitting room first
    • all our toys were displayed on the sofas/ chairs all assembled and ready to be played with!
    • we always left guinness, cookies, carrots and batteries out for santa the night before!
    • we were only able to ask for 3 things and a surprise from santa. and the list had to be written by the week after halloween - otherwise it might not make it to the north pole in time!
    • one year my mum couldnt get the baby all gone for my sister, so she wrote a note from santa saying sorry but rudolph stood on her by accident. My mum had a dolls house lined up instead. my sister was so happy about the note she didnt care about the doll anymore!

we also got our stockings in our rooms with loads of little bits in them so if we woke up early there was something to play with.

One year we begged our mum to let us get our santa toys in our rooms like some other kids in school. WORST IDEA EVER! 4am and we were running around the landing on our new scooters!

I think everyone develops new traditions over the years, Id say just make sure you experience them all together as a family!

Advertisement