Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Youtube Revenue

Options
  • 09-11-2011 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭

I recently got a mail from youtube, telling me I can earn revenue from my videos. I'm assuming that it's just those ads that pop up when you watch a video.
    Does anyone know what kinda potential revenue figures are on offer?
    Does it go by number of views, number of views per video etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Very VERY little unless you have a massive viewer base. Talking cents per day. Google also only pays out when you hit a min figure. Think it's €100.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I recently got a mail from youtube, telling me I can earn revenue from my videos. I'm assuming that it's just those ads that pop up when you watch a video.
    Does anyone know what kinda revenue figures are earnable?
    There's no guarantee and it can vary wildly but 50000 views may equal €100.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

I thought as much. My channel has about 35,000 views in total, and that's since 2007. The ads annoy me a tad, so doubt I'll sign up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Just video a load of starlings and stick it up with a bit of music.

KA-CHING!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

A load of plebs have the system worked out with their established fanbase. They create sepearate channels and upload videos about litteraly nothing, usually talking about other popular Youtube viral videos.

The views just roll up within hours and they pocket their money for talking utter shìte to their camera.

Some actually warrant their fanbase by putting work into their videos and providing some sort of value while others just take the piss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Maybe Google should pay all those who's copyrighted videoclips have been illegally uploaded to their site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Duggy747 wrote: »
    A load of plebs have the system worked out with their established fanbase. They create sepearate channels and upload videos about litteraly nothing, usually talking about other popular Youtube viral videos.

The views just roll up within hours and they pocket their money for talking utter shìte to their camera.

Some actually warrant their fanbase by putting work into their videos and providing some sort of value while others just take the piss.

jealous much?

Regarding copyrighted clips, if you upload a video of a concert that you were at, that you recorded yourself, does that constitute copyright infringment?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Maybe Google should pay all those who's copyrighted videoclips have been illegally uploaded to their site.
    They kind of do, if you use copyrighted material they take any revenue the video makes and give it to the copyright holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Regarding copyrighted clips, if you upload a video of a concert that you were at, that you recorded yourself, does that constitute copyright infringment?

Yep. It's specified in the terms and conditions. I got that for a Stephen Lynch concert and a Gaslight Anthem live thing, so I didn't sign them up. I didn't imagine I was going to be a millionaire off the back of it anyroad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭FetchTheGin

jealous much?

Not having much success in your own there are you?

Snakeblood wrote: »
    Yep. It's specified in the terms and conditions. I got that for a Stephen Lynch concert and a Gaslight Anthem live thing, so I didn't sign them up. I didn't imagine I was going to be a millionaire off the back of it anyroad.
    Dammit. I thought that as it was your own footage, it was alright. All but one of my videos are concert footage. The other one is a snowman getting shot with a shotgun. Don't think I can retire just yet so!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

jealous much?

Hmmm.........nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

So far I've earned 6 peanuts and 4 jelly babies. When I get to 20 of each, I'm going to trade them on adverts.ie for a packet of M&M's.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

Does anyone know what kinda potential revenue figures are on offer?
    Does it go by number of views, number of views per video etc?

Delete the email OP.

Unless you own ALL of the clip (sound and vision) you wont get a red cent, and by ticking the form, you are allowing them to put banner ads all over your video, and there isn't thing 1 you can do about it.

vultures :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Hey I've gotten that email as well, actually A LOT of people I know have.

The issue is will a small amount of ad revenue be worth the risk of alienating your viewers,
    The ads are annoying but hey if you're going to make money what have you got to lose.

Not sure what the story is with applying ads to anything that might be copyrighted, I've seen some youtubers with ads on who haven't credited the artist.

So, should I start a 'Earn CardBoardWindows money' thread, and post all my videos on it? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

So, should I start a 'Earn CardBoardWindows money' thread, and post all my videos on it? :p

Or, you could make a you tube video about starting a 'Earn CardBoardWindows money' thread ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Not having much success in your own there are you?

I'm not trying but thanks for your input :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

I thought as much. My channel has about 35,000 views in total, and that's since 2007. The ads annoy me a tad, so doubt I'll sign up.

"Free money you say? Nah, no thanks."

?????????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Whilst ad-click related, I heard the simple ratio worked out as something like 1000 views = 1 dollar. Although I'm sure it's not even that high. So you're looking at a big $35 windfall for 4 years there OP.

You can monetize individual videos so it won't put ads on all your videos if you don't want to. I think your as well off turning it on, just don't ever expect any real cash out of it. Maybe a few years down the line you might get a surprise €100 in the post that would be about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭UglyBolloxFace

What the fuck....what the actual ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I used to wonder why people copied popular videos and put them up on their own channel

Guess I know now

I used to wonder why people copied popular videos and put them up on their own channel

Guess I know now

mikemac wrote: »

Guess I know now
    You wont get anywhere doing that. They're very quick to pick up on copyrighted music and once they do the moneys going to the record label.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

I can confirm that the rate is about €100 per 50,000 views.

Here's a screengrab of my AdSense report. Some info is blurred out because it's actually against the ToS to publish your reports. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Cathaoirleach

ScumLord wrote: »
    You wont get anywhere doing that. They're very quick to pick up on copyrighted music and once they do the moneys going to the record label.

Yes, and they will also ban you from AdSense for life!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Dotrel

Never heard of this individual before but I want to kick Fred hard in the vagina. :mad:

http://encyclopediadramatica.ch/Fred

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »

By copying I was thinking more of the videos that are popular at the time

There was a gorgeous video of a penguin in a zoo in Ohio and people were copying the video and giving no credit to the zookeeper. So she got fewer views and was upset over it

Or the man with the golden voice. That story belonged to a news channel and countless different channels copied it.

It's a bit annoying when you search and find twenty copies of the same video

Youtube should crack down on it and only the original uploader gets to use it

Advertisement