Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safe to convert external hard drive to NTFS?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Hi. I've got a 500GB hard drive formatted as FAT32. It's got 42GB free on it. I want to convert the drive to NTFS - so i don't want to lose any data on the drive. Is converting usually a low-risk procedure? Can i be fairly confident that i won't encounter any errors that will result in me losing my data?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

If the data is important enough that you are worried about losing it (hence this thread), then it should be backed up in the first place.

To answer your question, yes it is reasonably risk free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭gnolan

If the data is important enough that you are worried about losing it (hence this thread), then it should be backed up in the first place.

To answer your question, yes it is reasonably risk free.

I know what you mean. The problem is my laptop (my only other storage device) has a free capacity of about 50GB, and the data i have stored on the hard drive takes up around 400GB. This would mean purchasing another drive + enclosure if i wanted to backup.

But i take your point - if it's that important I should either backup or not attempt the conversion perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,527 ✭✭✭SickBoy

As already said it should be a simple process but backup the mission critical stufff first.
    50gb on the laptop should be enough to backup the really important stuff in case the worst comes to the worst.

Advertisement