Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SD Card 'vanishing' issues

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭

One of the things I use my phone for is watching avi's, etc (generally when travelling), for which I use the excellent Mobo Player. Up until about a week ago all was well, then things started to freeze, crash and otherwise make viewing impossible.

Cutting a long story short, it appears that for some reason my phone (Defy, 7 months old, 2.2.2, not rooted) is having issues with the SD card, which appears to sometimes play a "now you see me, now you don't" game, although I'm not sure if the issue is with the card, the phone or with some form of conflicting software on the phone.

Question is; would anyone be able to recommend an app (like an SD card 'doctor') that would allow me to ideally fix the problem and if not at least identify what is the source (before I buy another card only to discover it's not that). If anyone has had experiences with similar problems, that too would be helpful.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It uses fat32 filesystem, just use windows scandisk to repair it (mount via usb or via card reader). Lots of sdcards unfortunately die over time, cells get degraded with use. Cheap brands don't last very long.

Had one like that myself, at first windows would scandisk it ok and fix corruption, but it kept getting worse until it ended up in bin.

Mine didn't "vanish" tho, it just wouldn't mount it in the first place. Try checking your slot for dust etc.

Advertisement