Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using savings to pay off mortgage balance

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

After a recent conversation about the potential collapse of the euro and it's affect on savings, i was advised by a friend of a friend to use any savings i have to pay off some of my remaining mortgage. I have about 20 grand saved and still owe about 180 grand on the mortgage.

Is there any wisdom in this advice?? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

The best advice is to speak to a QFA and not listen to hear say or ask random people off the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

The best advice is to speak to a QFA and not listen to hear say or ask random people off the internet.

Thanks for that, but i just thought i'd throw it out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jet Black

If it were to collapse paying a mortgage would be the least of my worries. As said seek advice impartial advice from someone not looking to sell you something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Also if you have a fixed rate mortgage their will be a penalty for repaying early. This cant be avoided.

On variables/trackers there is no penalty for early payments/overpayments so only worth considering if you are on one of these.

Also it is very dependent on what rate of interest you are on also. Some low rate trackers you may be able to get a better rate on deposit for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

ceekay74 wrote: »
    After a recent conversation about the potential collapse of the euro and it's affect on savings, i was advised by a friend of a friend to use any savings i have to pay off some of my remaining mortgage. I have about 20 grand saved and still owe about 180 grand on the mortgage.

Is there any wisdom in this advice?? :confused:

If this "friend of a friend" had advised something along the lines of switching out of Euro to say Sterling, there would be some merit in the argument. But pay down your mortgage? It's hard to understand what is the logic of the advice is? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

stepbar wrote: »
    If this "friend of a friend" had advised something along the lines of switching out of Euro to say Sterling, there would be some merit in the argument. But pay down your mortgage? It's hard to understand what is the logic of the advice is? :confused:

I was a bit confused myself, but it was along the lines of it's better to have no savings and lower debt, than having no savings and big debt in the event of ireland leaving the euro.

Advertisement