Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarettes going out ?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭

Heard some members of my family complaining about cigarettes going out a lot lately and having to be relit.

So I did some investigation work and found out that cigarette companies are now legally obliged make fire safe cigarettes.

Done by including "speed bumps" to the paper during manufacture so that when a cigarette is laid down it will go out and not burn away and start a fire. The practice is to become enforceable later in the month so I assume they are standardising it in the last few weeks as the people I know have only recently noticed it.

Good for safety but the smokers I know are not too happy about relighting so often as relighting a gone out cigarette tastes horrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

MungBean wrote: »
    Heard some members of my family complaining about cigarettes going out a lot lately and having to be relit.

So I did some investigation work and found out that cigarette companies are now legally obliged make fire safe cigarettes.

Done by including "speed bumps" to the paper during manufacture so that when a cigarette is laid down it will go out and not burn away and start a fire. The practice is to become enforceable later in the month so I assume they are standardising it in the last few weeks as the people I know have only recently noticed it.

Good for safety but the smokers I know are not too happy about relighting so often as relighting a gone out cigarette tastes horrible.

Yeah know those things will kill ya, right?:D

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Yeah know those things will kill ya, right?:D

I dont smoke myself, I quit last new years eve. The only new years resolution I ever stuck to. But now there's less of a chance that someone else will kill me.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

In fairness, cigarettes in general taste horrible...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Guess they will have to smoke them faster to get over those speed bumps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Cigarettes going out ?

Well there's nothing on TV, so I'd hardly expect them to stay in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Thanks for your research on this - we'd been noticing the same thing - it's good to know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I was wondering how they got them to go out, I thought it was a band of some kind of quenching liquid or something like that. I think Carrolls were the first to have it but most companies are implementing it now. I smoke a cigarette too fast to notice but have heard a lot of others giving out about it.

In fairness, cigarettes in general taste horrible...

True but you dont notice it as a smoker unless your relighting a butt. Which I'm ashamed to say I did many a time back in the day. Pokin through ashtrays for a butt with a drag or two left on it wont be remembered as a high point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

jester77 wrote: »
    Guess they will have to smoke them faster to get over those speed bumps
    Now a cynic would say that was the plan all along.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

No way, I thought it was something to do with my Spanish smokes.

TheZohan wrote: »

See, checkin the smoking forum would have been the logical thing to do :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Rollies ftw.

They go out anyway. I can have a few drags, leave it down for 15 minutes and then go back to it.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

True but you dont notice it as a smoker unless your relighting a butt. Which I'm ashamed to say I did many a time back in the day. Pokin through ashtrays for a butt with a drag or two left on it wont be remembered as a high point.
    Does it make much of a difference if you relight it straight away?

Another issue is for people who never have a light and have to borrow one for every cigarette, they'll have to do it a few times per smoke if they're no careful :p.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 24,003 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

See, checkin the smoking forum would have been the logical thing to do :pac:

The thick cloud of smoke makes it difficult to find.

Does it make much of a difference if you relight it straight away?

Another issue is for people who never have a light and have to borrow one for every cigarette, they'll have to do it a few times per smoke if they're no careful :p.

Could be a good opportunity to invest, lighter sales will sky rocket !!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HLecter

Speed-bumps in cigarettes?

So does that mean if its a joint there will be ....potholes

thank you. thank you. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Interesting.

Why didn't they just remove the salt petre that they blend with the tobbaco to make them burn faster?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate#Oxidizer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its an obvious win for the cigarette manufacturers. Make them smoke faster because you have to, to keep it lit. Means more packets smoked because they are used up quicker....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I once saw a sign in the gent's toilet in a pub near Portlaoise. It read. "Please don't throw cigarette ends in the urinals as they become soggy and difficult to light.":):):)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement