Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird fiscal priorities

Options
  • 09-11-2011 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

I remember once during my student days humming and hawing in the supermarket over if I could afford a certain, not-too-cheap breakfast cereal and whether I could justify spending the money.

Then it sort of hit me - I'd think nothing of handing over the money for that ridiculously overpriced G&T in the pub.

G&T - un-nutritious
    Breakfast cereal - well, also un-nutritious. :D

But at least with the breakfast cereal, it would last a week and would somewhat fill me in the mornings.

Now, I don't go out getting drunk every weekend but still, say E50 every two weeks on feckin' alcohol? Think of the yummy food you could buy for that. Madness!

Is there anything that you rationalise spending stupid amounts on in your head, whilst bawking at other totally reasonably priced items?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

I remember once during my student days humming and hawing in the supermarket over if I could afford a certain, not-too-cheap breakfast cereal and whether I could justify spending the money.

Then it sort of hit me - I'd think nothing of handing over the money for that ridiculously overpriced G&T in the pub.

G&T - un-nutritious
    Breakfast cereal - well, also un-nutritious. :D

But at least with the breakfast cereal, it would last a week and would somewhat fill me in the mornings.

Now, I don't go out getting drunk every weekend but still, say E50 every two weeks on feckin' alcohol? Think of the yummy food you could buy for that. Madness!

Is there anything that you rationalise spending stupid amounts on in your head, whilst bawking at other totally reasonably priced items?

50 quid on videogame: YES.

Risotto Rice: WHAT'S WRONG WITH NORMAL RICE WOMAN? DO I LOOK LIKE I'M MADE OF MONEY?!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Similarly I can't justify buying really nice freshly squeezed orange but can justify buying really badly brewed beer that won't make me feel all fresh and healthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

overpriced breakfast cereal or over priced alcohol. i wouldnt be going thirsty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I wouldnt spend over 60 quid on runners yet I'd easily p!ss €120 on one night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭MungBean

People will always make feeding their habits a priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

The word fiscal sounds weird if you say it over and over.
    Strange sounding word.
    I never liked it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

My fiscal priorities in college were:

Rent
    Alcohol and drugs
    Final warning utlity bills
    Koka noodles
    Bread
    Utlity bills

Strange sounding word.
    I never liked it.

Frightfully tinny sounding word.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

You need to make sure that you stay hydrated. By the time you feel thirsty, it could already be too late!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Miss Olenska

Similarly I can't justify buying really nice freshly squeezed orange but can justify buying really badly brewed beer that won't make me feel all fresh and healthy.

Good example.

Fresh OJ is all kinds of yummy. But I ALWAYS bawk at the price.
    MungBean wrote: »
    People will always make feeding their habits a priority.

But alcohol isn't a habit for me, I've gone months without the stuff. But when I do drink? "E7 for a G&T? Why here you go, young barkeep!" :D

• Advertisement

But alcohol isn't a habit for me, I've gone months without the stuff. But when I do drink? "E7 for a G&T? Why here you go, young barkeep!" :D

The habit is drinking to enhance your fun or whatever. You like many people wouldnt be addicted to drinking but you'd associate drinking with fun and when in a pub you'd drink as part of the experience. So all thoughts of anything go out the window and priority number one is drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I 'll sacrifice a night out to pay bills no prob, dont drink enough to warrant it, but come november/december its all video games. Uncharted 3 last week MW3 monday, Skyrim this Friday and Zelda next week? living on noodles it is.

krudler wrote: »
    living on noodles it is.

Koka noodles are yum though, in fairness, so it's not so bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I pretty much stopped drinking for a couple of months.

I quickly found I could justify (afford) all kinds of purchases I previously thought extravagant.

hardCopy wrote: »
    I pretty much stopped drinking for a couple of months.

I quickly found I could justify (afford) all kinds of purchases I previously thought extravagant.

Yep, same. I've gone through long periods of not drinking and find I'll shell out for things I never would have, like going for that slightly more expensive cut of meat or that nice piece of salmon or whatever.

MungBean wrote: »
    The habit is drinking to enhance your fun or whatever. You like many people wouldnt be addicted to drinking but you'd associate drinking with fun and when in a pub you'd drink as part of the experience. So all thoughts of anything go out the window and priority number one is drink.

Ah, gotcha. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

Koka noodles are tasteless, watery, gooey rubbish - go to an Asian shop and buy Ramen noodles for like a fraction of the cost of Koka. Add an egg and some pak choi - tasty, tasty goodness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭scotty_irish

koka noodles, posh you with your brand name ones, get mine in aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Koka noodles are tasteless, watery, gooey rubbish - go to an Asian shop and buy Ramen noodles for like a fraction of the cost of Koka. Add an egg and some pak choi - tasty, tasty goodness!

Ah, but would one get Ramen noodles, pak choi and an egg for 37 cents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Snakeblood wrote: »

Risotto Rice: WHAT'S WRONG WITH NORMAL RICE WOMAN?

It makes shit risotto, dahling.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the lecture.

In general, I eat well and am a pretty OK cook but sometimes something cheap and cheerful hits the spot like nothing else on earth.

Ah, but would one get Ramen noodles, pak choi and an egg for 37 cents?

In an Asian shop - yes.

Thanks for the lecture.

In general, I eat well and am a pretty OK cook but sometimes something cheap and cheerful hits the spot like nothing else on earth.

Did you not see the part where I wrote that the Ramen noodles are a fraction of the price of koka?? and taste better!

Did you not see the part where I wrote that the Ramen noodles are a fraction of the price of koka?? and taste better!

I would be worried if I could get a half dozen eggs for less than a euro, tbh. So there is no way what you described would work out cheaper.

I would be worried if I could get a half dozen eggs for less than a euro, tbh. So there is no way what you described would work out cheaper.

Well - the Ramen is 33c, egg is 15c and pak choi is less than 10c - So full meal is less than 58c but Ramen itself works out as less than the Koka (egg and pak choi are not needed - I add them myself as I like them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭Johro

Strange sounding word.
    I never liked it.
    It's not as bad as 'moist'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Off the booze = spending about a tenner on the contents of one sandwich, parma ham, ciabatta bread etc. I do always pay my rent and bills on time though, I can't stand being hassled by people over money. so

1. Rent/bills
    2. entertainment inc. drink
    3. clothes
    4. games, what I do buy tends to last me ages, COD, Street Fighter etc.
    5. other crap eg. household items no matter how bad they are needed.

Advertisement