Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the Irish constuction workers??

Options
  • 09-11-2011 4:43am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭

Just a thing i noticed..

I got the insulation done on the house great job,all the lads doing it were eastern european
    People in my street got it done by another company the lads were again all eastern european

There is a big SISK goverment job being done near me and when i get the bus a large group 20 -25 workers every day get off/on at this site,all seem to be non nationals again using the bus

Big insulation job being done on a halfway hostel again the crew all eastern european

Is there no Irish workers left?Not want the work?Too expensive?:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Working in the black economy

If you want an Irish tradesmen or labourer go to the message board in your local supermarket
    You'll find plenty of people looking for work and leaving their mobile phone numbers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Not in the trade but is the black economy alot better for a construction worker?

Are the non nationals working for less the the minimum rates

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

The ones who have sense have already emigrated to Australia/Canada/Middle East.

Not too many left in Ireland now at this stage, Im sure there's a few on the dole.

Irish Construction Industry is brown bread for at least another decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

a lot of these eastern europeans are working cash in hand. i had some in to look at work in my mothers house, and when i asked would i get could i get a VAT receipt i have never seen someone want to get out of the house so fast.

lots of irish workers still have thier c2 so they need to declare work, which adds vat and other expenses to the bill, but at least you have some bit of comeback from this. is there is no recepit of work you only have the promise of the workers to fix any defects, and good luck with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

allibastor wrote: »
    a lot of these eastern europeans are working cash in hand.

Doesn't explain how the OP is seeing gangloads of them working away for Sisk while we hear nonstop about unemployment in the sector

Sisk pay union rates I think, they wouldn't be involved in cash in hand

• Advertisement

it was more about the home insulation point.
    but sisk has been in trouble in a few site for using non-national subbies who pay staff lower rates than what the going rate is, also a lot of these lads are very easily mobile so for short term jobs they are well suited as they can travel at the drop of a hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

a lot of these eastern europeans are working cash in hand. i had some in to look at work in my mothers house, and when i asked would i get could i get a VAT receipt i have never seen someone want to get out of the house so fast.

lots of irish workers still have thier c2 so they need to declare work, which adds vat and other expenses to the bill, but at least you have some bit of comeback from this. is there is no recepit of work you only have the promise of the workers to fix any defects, and good luck with that.

A lot of the Irish are working cash in hand too and signing on, something the Eastern Europeans can only do until their stamps run out.

professore wrote: »
    A lot of the Irish are working cash in hand too and signing on, something the Eastern Europeans can only do until their stamps run out.

i never mentioned anything about signing on, but i am sure loads from both ireland and abroad do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

I've worked in the construction industry for the last 25 years. The reason there are mostly foreign lads there is that they do good quality work, don't moan to unions, are actually happy in their job and take proper breaks, turn up on time etc. Which group would you prefer on your site?
    About time our lot woke up.

I've worked in the construction industry for the last 25 years. The reason there are mostly foreign lads there is that they do good quality work, don't moan to unions, are actually happy in their job and take proper breaks, turn up on time etc. Which group would you prefer on your site?
    About time our lot woke up.

ha, you are absoluty right on that score also. i am just saying that i have know a good few non-nationals who work cash in hand cause its a bit easier for them. good quality most of the time. plus they are happy to work till the job is done, not skive off and milk it for another few days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

I had a good few working with me as well that would not scratch there nuts so it works both ways a lot of people make out the Irish man to be a lazy so and so and that's wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

it was more about the home insulation point.
    but sisk has been in trouble in a few site for using non-national subbies who pay staff lower rates than what the going rate is, also a lot of these lads are very easily mobile so for short term jobs they are well suited as they can travel at the drop of a hat.

Now I wonder where they learnt that

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

Construction workers don't have to stay in the trade, most I know have emigrated, got government jobs back in 2007/08, went back to college, have other non construction jobs or are on the dole doing the odd nixer.

The slump hit us first I noticed it back in 2006/2007 it was getting harder to find sustainable work so I made my plans to get out of the industry. Never guessed it would have resulted in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Not sure how many are construction workers but the migration statistics indicate that less than 10,000 Irish people in total have migrated to Australia since 1st July 2008- 30 June 2011

That number includes all occupations including Nursing, Engineers, IT, teachers, accountants etc plus families including kids etc.

Of course this number does not take into account of those on a working holiday because..... its em a holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭eire2009

Its a big culture thing to hit Australia after your trade a lot of them had already used up their 1 year visa before the recession. The worst hit were those aged 20-30 the older guys in the trade had the experience, were higher up the food chain and had made solid contacts and customers over the years.

Id say migration has been well over roughly 180`000 since 2008, I think the average was about 30`000 the years before the recession so that's up about 90`000. Im guessing here I just glanced at this http://www.cso.ie/releasespublications/documents/population/2011/popmig_2011.pdf and from other stats Ive heard.

Australia isn't the only place in the world, judging by the construction workers around me including myself id say id know more abroad than back home including myself, a rare few still in the same occupation.

Advertisement