Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behaviourist in Limerick/Clare

Options
  • 09-11-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Hey folks...
    This may already have been asked if so please excuse my bringing it up again....

Having a lot of trouble with two of our bitches going for each other tooth and nail...They had gotten on like a house on fire before this but for some reason over the last few months they cannot stand the sight of each other......Even before one of them had a litter...they are 4.5yrs and 1.5yrs old....BTW the other bitch got on really well with the puppies

We have five dogs all together, three bitches (two toy and one Cav) and two male toys, one old about 10yrs and the other a youngster 5/6 months from one of the bitches...
    Could any one recommend a way to solve this or recommend a behaviourist in Limerick/Clare area...
    Ty folks

loco

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

You have a whole lot of doggy politics going on there!
    I'd highly recommend Bev Truss in Ennis, www.petproblems.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 RhodeIslandRed

I would recommend Mark from Alpha K9 in Limerick. He is also recommended by Limerick Animal Welfare, they use him regularly for difficult situations with dogs where they don't know the background due to them being abandoned (it's on their website). You can contact him on his Facebook page and his number is 085 737 7567. He helped me last week and I know another two people who have used him also.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭locohobo

DBB/RhodeIslandRed...
    Thank you for the info...Will give them a holler see if they can help....

loco

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭boardbrowser

i second DBB recommendation of Bev at Pet Problems. Great trainer with the enormous advantage of experience as a vet nurse of 10 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Ryaano

hey new to this but had to reply to this,I used Mark as he was recommended by the Limerick Welfare and he was amazing! Seriuosly was considering getting rid of my dog due to behaviourial problems but after ONE session with Mark it was sorted. The difference with other trainers (who cost me way more money by the way) is he showed me what to do and as he says he trains the owner not the dog! Would ddefinetely recommend him- like an Irish Caesar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Like an Irish Cesar is not necessarily a good thing.

Would go with Bev all the way here - she has a lot more experience and is qualified. Her methods are kind and fair. No alpha-rolls, collar checking etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

I'd recommend Mike Prior .

I wouldn't.

I tried Mike Prior , paid a lot of money for him to take my dog and train him. was grand for a while but the same problems came back bacause I was the one wrong not the dog .I went to Mark and he explained what I was doing wrong and how to correct it . It would be like Supernanny taking your kids to stay , they behave brilliant there but once they come back they know that they can do whatever and get away with it. He is similiar to Caesar in that its mostly the owners at fault and he trains them.

Oh by the way he used no harsh methods, I wouldnt allow that and I am sure the Limerick Animal Welfare wouldnt either seeing as he is recommended by them.He is the only one they recommend I was told. Its more mental work than anything.

• Advertisement

See my post above re: Mark.

Don't get me wrong, he is a nice guy and he is very good to LAW, but I would not let him work with my dog for behavioural issues. He is not qualified. Nor are any of the other dog trainers in Limerick. They areold-school, self-taught dog trainers who do resort to punishment at times when other approaches would work much better.

For behavioural issues, I'd go to Bev or else Ilse Sas in North Cork, who will do house visits and has also been very good to LAW over the years. :)

Advertisement