Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor data roaming at home

Options
  • 08-11-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

This may be a stupid question but I have moved house recently and in my old place I regularly had H or E data connection with meteor and was happy with speed, coverage etc.
    In the new gaff my phone now only gets EDGE connection when upstairs and when downstairs it switches to roaming, I assume I have switched to vodafone when this happens. Can I use vodafone for data connection at no extra cost? Or am I restricted to using data only when connected directly to meteor?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

You can use Vodafone. Just turn data roaming on. Be careful and make sure you turn it off if you are leaving the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭UrsusMaritimus

Thanks, i know about the out of Ireland roaming charges for data and was a bit worried the same would apply when on the vodafone network.

Sorry to come back to this, do Vodafone limit the speed for Meteor customers when they are roaming on their network at home.
    I get three bars with a 3G connection and it is agonisingly slow. I would paint web-pages faster than they load. I have very limited connection with EDGE when on Meteor and this is brutal slow as well. but from what i understand EDGE is the slowest of all data connections.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

I would imagine Vodafone would prioritise the available data channels for there customers.

The big problem is Meteor only have a 2G agreement with Vodafone whose network outside of built up areas only has GPRS data coverage which is way worse than Edge.

Specs say GPRS is 56-114 Kb/s but its normally way worse, maybe average of 20-30 Kb/s which certainly sounds like what you are experiencing.

Sounds like both networks are overloaded with Data where you are, you should give them a call or post on their forum (http://forums.meteor.ie/t5/Coverage/bd-p/Coverage) and see if they can do anything for you.

Hi Max,

Thanks for the reply, I rang Meteor this morning (didn't get time to yesterday and just as well 34mins on hold!) and logged it with them, apparently I should have excellent coverage in my area, we'll see what changes if anything as it is bad 24/7.
    The speeds you mentioned are about right i would think as it is as slow as dialup if not slower, no point in having a data package you can't use really.
    Would a "G" show up instead of a 3G if i was on a 2G connection with Vodafone? Or is there a way to tell the connection type.

• Advertisement
Advertisement