Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forgot to pay in a shop - Adult Caution

Options
  • 08-11-2011 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

My wife went to a shop , as it was very busy to carry shopping bag.She took few things to buy and placed into a shopping bag which she was carrying. As she spent more than 30 mins in the shop looking at different items and forgot that these items were in bag (we have bought many goods in this shop previously) . She was about to leave the shop when security guy stopped her and started interrogating.Eventually , he called up Gardai and they took her to the Gardai station. It was so humiliating for forgetting something and they have said to register a adult caution. Can anyone guide me in right direction , as she is very honest ,and now depressed .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

tell her not to worry
    if its a genuine mistake then no problem
    she will never come to garda attention again
    we have all made mistakes
    in time she will look back and wonder why she worried so much
    she has a good man who cares about her and that will help her
    good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My understanding is that a person accepting a caution is admitting guilt.

Delancey wrote: »
    My understanding is that a person accepting a caution is admitting guilt.

she did do it
    but she most likely wont do it again
    so no worries then

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kirra

thanks for the quick reply, What we should do to prove that she forgot which is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

kirra wrote: »
    thanks for the quick reply, What we should do to prove that she forgot which is true!

i'm sorry . she may have forgotten but she still left the shop. the shop dont know her intentions . if she is known in the shop and they accepted her answer they surely would not have called the cops . the fact that there were security guards must mean either if it is a grocery shop there are baskets . even the small corner shops have baskets. i assume if it fits in a shopping bag then it fits in a basket

Like what was said earlier . she did it, accept it don't do it again. nothing will come of it .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Does a caution then show up when applying for any job that requires vetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

meercat wrote: »
    she did do it
    but she most likely wont do it again
    so no worries then

You don't know from what has been said if she did anything contrary to the law. In fact it looks likely that she didn't form the necessary mens rea, also from the information supplied we don't even know if she left the store, he says she was going out of the shop, were to gaurds too hasty in stopping her?

Don't assume she was guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 kirra

i'm sorry . she may have forgotten but she still left the shop. the shop dont know her intentions . if she is known in the shop and they accepted her answer they surely would not have called the cops . the fact that there were security guards must mean either if it is a grocery shop there are baskets . even the small corner shops have baskets. i assume if it fits in a shopping bag then it fits in a basket

Like what was said earlier . she did it, accept it don't do it again. nothing will come of it .

I understand that it's better to accept it , even though it was done unknowingly. I will leave the rest to GOD!

kirra wrote: »
    . She was going out of the shop and security guy took her to the room started interrogating .

ops words

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

meercat wrote: »
    ops words

Is this directed at me? I noted the OP's words, I was simply commenting on the ambiguity that exists in them, and that it should be clarified before you say she should plead guilty.

Also, that aside it doesn't seem like there is necessary mens rea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement