Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know why IWO isn't being updated?

Options
  • 08-11-2011 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Last update seems to have been 1st November?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭NIALL D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Last update seems to have been 1st November?

i thought i seen somewhere that he's away for a week or something.. an will be back updating soon.. dont quote me on that but im almost sure !!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Still no updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

Villain wrote: »
    Still no updates?

From Facebook, where someone asked the same question.
    Hi Eamonn , Mark who runs the site is away unfortantely he only does the site and twitter updates . I'm just helping out here . Don't want the place turning into a complete ghost town now do we ? :)

Taking some well earned time off I presume.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

From Facebook, where someone asked the same question.

Taking some well earned time off I presume.. :)

Hey guys, ye thats me on the FB page , im just helping out keeping the place alives :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Hey nice 1 Ian

Mark is entitled to a holiday in fairness.

Keep up the good work !

• Advertisement

Umm weird that Mark (WolfeIRE) is posting here though http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056301580&page=83

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Umm weird that Mark (WolfeIRE) is posting here though http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056301580&page=83

Busman's holiday? :pac:

It's been sold

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

It's been sold

Any idea who bought it????

Nope

• Advertisement

Btw the reason I know is I asked WolfIre and he told me, incase ppl think I'm guessing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Btw the reason I know is I asked WolfIre and he told me, incase ppl think I'm guessing

So that's why WolfIre is back on the boards.Got bored twiddling his thumbs with nowhere to update ;) Whoever does take over the website will be hard pushed to put as much time and effort into it as WolfIre did.You will be missed there my friend. Will be interesting to see what direction it takes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Diamond Dust

Any idea if WolfIre plans on making this official? miss the updates on IWO , would be nice to know whats going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 South East Raven

For the last few days this site(boards,ie) has the weather from PO'D at least
    3 hours before IWO. each morning.Whats goin on? If IWO is sold then thats a shame. The people at IWO have done tremendous work over the past 12 mths to take the IWO website to another level. Please someone tell us what's the problem.We deserve to hear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭je55ie

Some sort of answer as to what's going on would be nice for IWO's followers at this stage IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭jirafa

Not a nice way to treat his loyal followers of IWO,,,who have stuck by him since day one...and have made IWO...what it is today...Eaten bread is soon forgotten I guess...:mad::mad::(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

whoever has bought the site would want to sort it out quickly before it loses all its followers, im sure its already lost a good few!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

IWO had permission to post my forecasts as seen here on Boards.ie ... the schedule by which they did that was up to their staff. From my perspective, nothing has changed, I continue to post forecasts on a regular basis at the same time (before 0730h usually) here on Boards.ie and I update them when required, occasionally with assistance from other weather forum members.

I had an arrangement with Mark when he was editing the website but I have no agreement in place with anyone from any group that might have taken over management and in fact they are not authorized to use the forecasts without suitable compensation.

IWO had permission to post my forecasts as seen here on Boards.ie ... the schedule by which they did that was up to their staff. From my perspective, nothing has changed, I continue to post forecasts on a regular basis at the same time (before 0730h usually) here on Boards.ie and I update them when required, occasionally with assistance from other weather forum members.

I had an arrangement with Mark when he was editing the website but I have no agreement in place with anyone from any group that might have taken over management and in fact they are not authorized to use the forecasts without suitable compensation.

MT have you been informed that the website has been sold? Surely as the main forecasters you should be told whether your forecasts are going to be used.

On the Facebook page lots of people are asking whats going on with the website. I commented on one of their posts that i learned from boards that the website has been sold. On checking now i see those comments have been deleted by someone. I think someone should come out and let people know whats going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,376 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

I am pledged to confidentiality on the whole business (not that I know much) but I did want to make the preceding rather limited point known, and I could add that it only matters to me if anyone else has been inconvenienced -- it actually has not changed my situation even slightly since I didn't do the work involved in placing the forecasts on the website. There are three people from our boards weather forum who did a lot more work on the IWO project than I did, if you accept that my forecasts here were going to happen anyway.

Maybe the project will come back to life, I simply don't know, but in any case I was thinking perhaps I would scale back my daily forecasting after this winter season to more of a twice-weekly blog here that might encourage more diversified forecasting to appear. I will be thinking about that once we get past the active winter weather season.

• Advertisement

Well if MT supplies the Forecast for IWO,who is PO'D.
    This is all getting confusing.I'm off back to bed!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Well if MT supplies the Forecast for IWO,who is PO'D.
    This is all getting confusing.I'm off back to bed!:(

I know, its inexplicable....unless MT Cranium isn't actually somebody's real name but that's just too crazy and incredible to be it. Its right up there with the Mary Celeste

This has been said numerous times, MT Cranium (boards username) is Peter O'Donell (P O'D)

Thanks to MT for some clarification. Perhaps someone from IWO will follow
    suit.
    However snow may not be an issue this Year as I ordered winter tyres
    yesterday and that could certainly put the mockers on that!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭talkabout

Really don't see what all the fuss is about. Its a fantastic site and a free service so i don't think we are owed any sort of explanation, it's not as if it's a subscription service. If its sold i hope the Board.ie member(s) did well from its sale.

Well I just hope everyone who was involved was rewarded seen as it was meant to be a hobby site and not for profit and people were asked to offer access to their weather information based on that gurantee, I guess it's lucky we didn't believe it.

Nobody is making a fuss but the question has been asked several times "why no updates" and its completely ignored, even just an acknowledgement of the question would do but this is a bit ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

All four people that contributed to IWO (I am one) are still active members on boards.ie, so IWO is here in some form. Other details regarding the site are confidential and connot be divulged at this time, but to date, no money has been made from IWO, so anybody who contributed to the site has not been shortchanged - Villain, I'm talking to you.

If people had paid money for a service and then that service was withdrawn without notice, they would have a case. But IWO was funded purely on sweat and tears, and provided a service that no other site has matched. For that, people should be grateful, and not demanding details that remain confidential.

Su Campu wrote: »
    All four people that contributed to IWO (I am one) are still active members on boards.ie, so IWO is here in some form. Other details regarding the site are confidential and connot be divulged at this time, but to date, no money has been made from IWO, so anybody who contributed to the site has not been shortchanged - Villain, I'm talking to you.

Umm well been aquired usually means purchased and my point was simply that when it was setup the owner asked for access to weather information that others have invested money and sweat to create for nothing in return based on the promise that it was a hobby site and not for profit. That promise looks rather suspect now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

This thread should be closed as its creating alot of tension and bad feeling.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement