Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help an Ignorant American with a Postgrad Question

Options
  • 08-11-2011 8:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

So I have a B.A. in English from The George Washington University in the states. I've been working since I graduated this past May, but i'm really interested in doing a master's at TCD (I'm looking at Political Science, International Politics, Comparative European Politics, European Studies and Race, Ethnicity & Conflict). I emailed grad studies and I was told that my degree equates to a 2.2 in Ireland, and I'm wondering if any of you have heard of an American getting into any of these programs with that degree class. I know that a 2.1 is expected, but to be honest I'm wondering if the fact that I'll be paying the highest fees (which are still cheaper than comparable programs in the states) should affect my chances. I'm probably going to go ahead and apply no matter what, but I've just got no idea what to expect or if I've even got a shot in hell.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Hi!

Well, I've never applied for a Masters at Trinity, but I'm pretty sure that paying the highest fees will boost your chances 100%. Irish universities are pretty broke, I'd say you're nearly sure to get in.

Good luck!
    Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

In general, the difference in fees should not make a difference to your chances of being offered a place.

The difference in fees for non-EU citizens is because colleges do not get funding for non-EU citizens the way they do for EU citizens (although some colleges/programmes take advantage of this and make them deliberately higher than they could be as a source of revenue - I wouldn't sign up somewhere like this).

There is a chance you'll get an offer based on a 2.2 degree, but the only way you'll really know is if you apply.

As a matter of interest, what's your GPA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mcryan89

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately my overall GPA was 2.6. My major GPA was 3.4, which often matters more in the US, but I imagine Ireland doesn't distinguish in the same way. Had a little bit too much fun in second year while I was doing my required classes lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Gae

mcryan89 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately my overall GPA was 2.6. My major GPA was 3.4, which often matters more in the US, but I imagine Ireland doesn't distinguish in the same way. Had a little bit too much fun in second year while I was doing my required classes lol.

Well in Ireland we generally only count the marks for the final year (and sometimes some of third year). This varies according to college/course. So if your transcripts look like you did well at the end of your degree then they might well take you.

Advertisement